Steve and I had a dinner date tonight to Cheddars. People are so kind when they see me on crutches: They get up and open doors, they give me their seat, etc. One thing that they do that I don't quite understand is ask me how I hurt my leg. I just don't think I would ever ask a stranger that question. Tonight, a man actually got out of his booth to come over and ask me what had happened. He went on to tell me about his own broken ankle that had been healing for 4 months. I don't know why it was important for me to trump him and let him know I was coming up on 2 years. I also don't know when I am answering what happened that I also say I was hit by a drunk driver instead of just saying I was in a car accident. One thing I have learned is this world is definitely not handicap friendly. Especially when you are in a wheel chair. So many stores the aisles are just not wide enough for you in a wheel chair and another person in the aisle. Most people are looking intently on what they are wanting to buy and don't even see you sitting there waiting to get by. Some stores are good about providing carts to help you get around. These are a great help but the thing I don't like about them is when you back up they beep, so everyone stares. I am glad the new chair they got me for work only has a horn if I choose to push it, it doesn't automatically happen just because I am backing up.
Anyway...I know I a rambling tonight. Hopefully we will all be more sensitive to those around us with a handicap and make things a little easier for them as they journey on their way.
1 comment:
Owldog,
I hope I did not make you feel uncomfortable about whatever you do. I agree that the best thing we can do is not ignore the handicap but extend to them a smile. Always a helping hand. All we can do is be the face of Jesus to them the best we feel him leading us to do. That age old question "What would Jesus do?" will never lead us wrong. Thank you for having a heart that cares.
Post a Comment