Sunday, December 21, 2008

Life Is Unpredictable

Today, Steve and I spent the afternoon at the funeral of a 16 year old. 16 is much much to young to die. No one expects their children to die before themselves. Daniel Hartley was just a little boy when I left Mesquite, probably about 5 or 6 but I remember his hugs, he always had one for me. His mom and grandmother are the Lois and Eunice who raised Daniel in the Lord and helped him develop the loving heart that he had. The auditorium was filled with people of all ages who had been touched by his life. They read a poem that just made you cry and this is what it said:

I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below.
With tiny lights, like Heaven's stars, reflecting on the snow.
The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away that tear;
For I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear.
But the sounds of music can't compare with the Christmas choir up here.
I have no words to tell you the joy their voices bring.
For it is beyond description to hear the angels sing.

I know how much you miss me, I see the pain inside your heart.
But I am not so far away, we really aren't apart.
I cannot tell you of the splendor or the peace inside this place
Can you imagine Christmas with our Savior, face to face?

I will ask him to light your spirit as I tell him of your love.
So then pray for one another as you lift your eyes above.
So be happy for me, dear ones, you know I hold you dear.
And be glad I'm spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above.
I sent you each a memory of my undying love.
After all, love is a gift more precious than pure gold.
It was always most important in the stories Jesus told.

Please love and keep each other, as my Father said to do.
For I can't count the blessing or love he has for each of you.
So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear.
Remember, I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.

Once again a reminder of all the many reasons to be thankful this Christmas season. What touched my heart was when I was at Mesquite I started the kids participating in LTC(Leadership Training For Christ). Although Daniel wasn't old enough to participate someone kept that program going after I left and he particpated in it from the 3rd grade on. It was so important to him that they displayed his plaque and his award plates at the funeral. He loved to lead singing so I hope that he has the opportunity to lead all the angels who are singing for him now. Please take a moment and just say a prayer for his mom Toni. Christmas will be hard without her baby boy to share it with her.

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Oh, no. It took everything in my being to get my nails to grow that long. By the time they were long, I was so annoyed that I cut them off. I probably have the weakest nails you have ever seen. Once I had someone bend my nail to show them how weak they are and they freaked out. They are short and stubby again, as usual.