Today John Siburt preached Morris James funeral and did an amazing job! I was so blessed to have been present. John said that in his 5 years of being at R.E. he has learned that funerals are actually holy ground. Some of what he said is actually what I said in my blog last night that all God asks us to be is a ministry of presence and He will be the promised comforter. So many of the funerals that I have been to since I have been at R.E. have been conducted by Larry James (Morris' son). Larry has spoken to my heart every time he spoke. Today John reminded us all that while Larry, Mildred and Morris had all been God's presence to others in times past, that today it was our turn to be His presence to them. I looked around the room and saw so many of the faithful R.E. servants that understand what it is to be faith community and who attend most funerals. It has been interesting to me in past times and today that there are not many people under the age of 50 who attend these funerals. I am not sure why that is, but all I know is that each one that I attend I come away with the desire to be a better servant of the Lord most high. Today was no different. I could not help but think of so many that have gone before us: Alan Bryan, Nancy Mooney, Doris James, Marti Paxton, Doug Aldrich,
Kathy Osborne, Ken McFarland, John Wood, Sue Vestal, Rosemary Collins, Nina Merklen and it hit me that they are Hebrews 12:1-2 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus' " They are in heaven with Moses, Elijah, Noah, Ruth, Esther, Paul, Peter,Mary etc. and they are just applauding and cheering us on this journey we are on. I also could not help but think of Steve Green's Song "Find Us Faithful".
We're pilgrims on the journey
Of the narrow road
And those who've gone before us line the way
Cheering on the faithful, encouraging the weary
Their lives a stirring testament to God's sustaining grace
Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
Let us run the race not only for the prize
But as those who've gone before us
Let us leave to those behind us
The heritage of faithfulness passed on through godly lives
Chorus:
Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful
May the fire of our devotion light their way
May the footprints that we leave
Lead them to believe
And the lives we live inspire them to obey
Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful
After all our hopes and dreams have come and gone
And our children sift though all we've left behind
May the clues that they discover and the memories they uncover
Become the light that leads them to the road we each must find
I wish I could remember exactly how John said it this morning, but it was something like "Morris lived life in such a way that the rest of us are just the Amen". I am thankful for all our senior saints who show us what Micah 6:8 looks like in the flesh for they all act justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with their God, and yours and mine. I thank God for allowing me to walk among them. I am indeed blessed abundantly.
Advent, Week Two, Day Five
Thursday Isaiah 40:1-11
"Comfort, comfort my people, says your God. Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and cry to her that her warfare is ended, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received from the LORD's hand double for all her sins. A voice cries: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level, and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken." A voice says, "Cry!" And I said, "What shall I cry?" All flesh is grass, and all its beauty is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades, when the breath of the LORD blows upon it; surely the people is grass. The grass withers, the flower fades; but the word of our God will stand for ever. Get you up to a high mountain, O Zion, herald of good tidings; lift up your voice with strength, O Jerusalem, herald of good tidings, lift it up, fear not; say to the cities of Judah, "Behold your God!" Behold, the Lord GOD comes with might, and his arm rules for him; behold, his reward is with him, and his recompense before him. He will feed his flock like a shepherd, he will gather the lambs in his arms, he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.."
1 comment:
Thanks, Lynn. We are so very grateful for you and everyone at RE.
Post a Comment