Saturday, December 01, 2007

Christmas Patience

I had a meeting today in Allen and decided while I was there I would stop at Hobby Lobby, I wanted a Christmas skirt for my tree. I have always wanted a pretty one instead of the felt one I had but just would never spend the money on one. They were 50% off today so I picked up one, only to get home and realize on my receipt they had charged me for two!!!! I thought the total seemed too much, but thought maybe I just under estimated what I had bought. I should have checked my receipt before leaving, anyway I had to drive all the way back to Allen and then stand in line 30 minutes with all the other returns. Rather frustrating.

Anyway...you have to just exhibit patience this time of year, because there are always going to be lines. But my patience was really running short today because the lady behind me was talking on her cell phone. Why do people not care that you hear their private conversations? But in this case she began arguing with whoever was on the other end of the phone then she started cussing including the "f" word several times. I just wanted to grab the phone out of her ear and hang it up. So I started praying for her. I prayed that she would come to know the Lord and the peace He offers. I didn't really know how to reach out to her though so I didn't.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed that over 30 people read my blog today but only one responded to my question (Thanks Becky!), I really was interested in your thoughts about stores removing Christ from their advertising and just using Happy Holidays. I said I would reveal the reason today. I want to confess that while I do wish stores would just keep using Christmas in their advertising the reason I haven't jumped on the band wagon to boycott them is because in looking at my own heart I am not so sure I haven't done the same thing. I have always loved Christmas and decorating, shopping, etc. But if you entered my house you would think Christmas is about Santa or snowmen and maybe angels, but you would not know Christmas is about Christ. Until a couple of years ago when I bought my first creche. Now I have three.

But this year for the first time I am actually going to observe some of the Advent traditions and try to put Christ and Christ alone at the center of my Christmas. In the weeks to come I would like to just blog about this experience for me and some of the ideas I have found on the web for making the weeks leading up to Christmas more focused on Jesus. Growing up in the church of Christ, Christmas was always de-emphasized because it was said we didn't really know when Christ was born and it was more likely in the Spring time because that is when the shepherds would have been out in their fields. We were told we celebrate Jesus every Sunday. I know that this is true but there is something about the extra focus at this time of year that really stirs my heart. I think that whatever you feel about this time of year is okay because it falls under Romans 14:5 "One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind." So I hope in the weeks to come we can discover something about Advent together and if you already have Advent traditions, I would love for you to share them.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Lynn, I will comment to your previous post. Sorry I had not read it until today. I am not offended by Happy Holidays either - for one it does encompass other holidays and Christmas needs to be shown through christians - Merry Christmas really does not mean much just seeing it on a sign as it does when you know our Saviour personally. But Christians should not fret - I just heard the root of Happy Holidays is actually Happy Holy Days!! :)

Tim Perkins said...

When I was in the 8th grade, I gave a 15-minute speech in English class on why we shouldn't celebrate Christmas in any religious way. Since I was terrified to be speaking in front of any of my peers, I must have been really committed to the idea. So wish I could go back and do the speech over. I was so very wrong.