Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Ongoing Technical Difficulties

I know that when we deal with an electronic world that nothing lasts forever. Computers are wonderful when they work but when they don't? Major frustration. So you may remember 3 weeks ago(tomorrow) my computer just quit working. Dell replaced it with another computer since it was still under warranty. Unfortunately they did not replace it with the same model. My previous computer was an Inspirion, this one is a Vostro which means that the hard drives are not compatible. So I hired Brian Vaughn to retrieve the records on my old hard drive and put them on the new computer. So that is done. Now? They did not give me the software that I had on my old computer so I can't access any of my old emails or any of my documents that were created in Office. So back on the phone with Dell today for over 45 minutes.

I am sorry if I come across as intolerant here, but you would think when you are in need of techinical support that you could speak to people that you can understand. Perhaps I just need to spend more time with people of Indian decent so that I can be more familiar with the accent. (Side bar: I had the same problem with several of my nurses in the hospital) Anyway...
the final result? There is nothing they can do. Guess the software was included with the original order and since I still don't have the disks we could not reload it. I don't have the disks because the computer was a gift from friends, church and family when I was first in my accident so I would have computer access at the hospital. The box was at the house but when friends packed up my house for the remodeling project we don't know where the box and disks ended up. Told the representative from Dell my story, he said he talked to his supervisor and because they no longer have the 2003 edition they could not give me the new edition free. So I am back to square one. I did download a trial version and can access some documents so that works for the next 60 days anyway.

The irony in all this? The representative's name was Angel....somehow the experience today did not seem very angelic!

Then this afternoon the Maytag repairman came and told me we have a broken seal on the washing machine and it will cost $350.00 to repair it. So guess we will just buy a new one. The humbling thing about his visit is he had one of the neuromuscular diseases and his body was so twisted and he walked on the edges of his feet. I was so humbled and once again found strength in realizing whatever I think my handicap is, it is nothing compared to what some people live life with. This man could very easily be living on disability and here he was repairing Maytag appliances. May I continue to be grateful for what I do have and think less of what I don't.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I will never own a Dell computer again. I've had two and both lasted about a year before they slowed to a halt. The customer service for Dell is just a joke. The computer I have now is actually from WalMart and has been great! It's a Toshiba. Years down the road when I buy another computer, I think I'll buy an Apple.

Cathy Burgess said...

The hard drive in your old computer was probably an IDE drive. These days, they are SATA drives, which is why they aren't compatible. It really is frustrating when you can't understand someone because of their accent. I remember calling Comcast tech support and had to keep asking "What did you say?"