First of all thanks to all who responded about possible games to play. Looks like Apples to Apples is a favorite.
Today Steve and I went to see Ben Stein's movie Expelled. It was very interesting although I found some of it hard to follow. If you don't know, the movie is about Evolution vs. Intelligent Design. The premise being that we are losing the freedom in America to teach Intelligent Design and those that have done so have been fired from the colleges and universities they were at. He traveled from coast to coast and oversees and interviewed people on both sides of the debate.
I don't claim to be any kind of expert in the scientific realm. I do know that when I worked as a librarian at the Superconducting Super Collider in the early 90's that I came in contact with some of the smartest scientist in the world. I was responsible for talking with them and then finding the articles and books they needed for their research. It was the first time that I had actually had conversations with evolutionist. I did come to realize that whether you are a creationist, theist, proponent of intelligent design or evolutionist they all take faith in something.
I just choose to put my faith in God who I believe created all things. But I cannot explain where God came from and therefore cannot be intolerant of thinking that says we all came from a Big Bang or as one man says in Expelled we all came from a group of protons on a crystal. They have no proof either, just theories and that is where their faith lies.
After seeing this movie I am not sure what my response should be. I do know if I was a parent I would be reading my children's science books to see what they are being taught. We should make sure that intelligent design dialogue is not being stifled and we are welcome to share our beliefs without fear of repercussions. If you want to examine both sides a little closer you can look at http://www.expelledthemovie.com or http://www.expelledexposed.com.
1 comment:
I actually missed teaching this curriculum by a couple of weeks this year due to having a baby. I have taught "the origins of the universe" for three years prior. In my experience, I was required to teach the Big Bang theory, the Oscillating Universe theory, the Parallel Universe theory, and the list goes on. Inevitibly, each year, in each class, I was asked about creation. Once the students ask about it, I can tell my opinion. I always gave the disclaimer that it was my opinion and that they should look at what is presented and decide on their own. The Hubble telescope has given support to the Big Bang theory. Who is to say that God didn't create the universe in such a way? I like to ask my students, "Where did that microscopic stuff that made the Big Bang come from?" when they ask where God came from. It is a beautiful mystery, in my opinion. I had not heard of this movie. I will have to check it out!
Post a Comment