Friday, April 18, 2008

Steve's Retirement Day

Steve retired today after working 24 years for the City of Dallas. I was blessed to go and be a part of his party. I know that I am his wife, but I was taken back from all the good wishes that were poured out on Steve today. One thing that was very obvious in the comments that were made about Steve is that people knew of his faith and it was not that he just talked about it he lived out a servant's heart among his peers.
These two men do not work for the City anymore, but they had hired Steve 24 years ago, so they came back to see him. The one in the blue shirt said that hiring Steve was the best thing he ever did.
There were so many people there they were all out in the hallway during the speeches. Several people said that Steve's new bosses (who he had less than a year) had no idea the scope of Steve's influence, so they did not book a large enough room.
They presented Steve with a nice plaque and a picture of City Hall signed by all of his commrades.

Don't know if you can see it very clear, but his cake had an airplane on it because of Steve's love
of flying and said "Taking Flight into a Happy Retirement" which also honored his love of puns.

This is Steve's co-worker Trafton. They have worked together since 1986. Trafton is the only one I know who actually puts in more hours than Steve. It was so sweet because he said he was so sad to see Steve leaving that he could not eat any of the snacks they were serving because his stomach hurt.


Steve what a blessing it was hearing so many people talk about what an influence you had been in their lives. I am the one that is going to be blessed now more than ever having you home so much more. I can't wait to see what God is going to do with us next!




8 comments:

Kim said...

Congratulations to Steve! I just love your husband. He has one of the best and purest hearts I know. I'm waiting anxiously to see what God is going to do in this next stage of your lives. Let the fun begin!!!

Cathy Burgess said...

I know it's an old cliche, but as one chapter ends, another begins. Hope the next chapter in your life is full of great things. Congratulations Steve!

Anonymous said...

I WAS ALSO SO BLEST TO BE WITH STEVE and you, AT HIS RETIREMENT PARTY. W O W!!! I knew he was WELL liked, but, had no idea of HOW MUCH. I only would wish I could receive a fourth of the wonderful things said of him He indeed is a jewel. I know of no man, (except his Pop) that is more of a reflection of our Father and His Son. He does indeed, live THE FAITH. Thanks for letting me be a part of yesterday.
You two deserve one another. I can't wait to see what God has in store with two of His MOST FAITHFUL CHILDREN. Lyn, I am so thankful that you two are HIS and MINE. Your Mother

Heather said...

Congratulations!! I know that the two of you will find great things to do together....

Anonymous said...

On the menu of life, now you get to choose the beginning of the Dessert courses! Mel & I have always admired the love and conviction Steve has consistantly demonstrated! We will continue to keep both of you in our prayers that God will open up many opportunites for you. We know that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you will be doing it for the Lord. Thank you both for your love and devotion to each other, your example of servanthood, and sharing your wonderful dreams together. Caren

Tim Perkins said...

I wasn't there to hear what his co-workers said, but I can certainly imagine the words. Steve is the guy we other guys measure ourselves against when considering our walk with God. I'm honored to be able to say that he's a friend of mine.

Now you guys enjoy yourselves, hear?

Anonymous said...

I am excited for you guys. I love th airplane on the cake.

Anonymous said...

Your Steve is very husband, like my Steve! You two must make a very striking, attractive couple. How exciting to enter this new chapter of life and adventure. God bless you both!