Briefly watched a portion on Oprah today and she was discussing happiness with a doctor. She said you could go online at Oprah.com and take a test, so I did. My score was in the medium range (not real high, but not low) then there was this quote:
"Dr. Holden says the key to being happy is overcoming "destination addiction," which he defines as "living in the not-now." "It's always about tomorrow, so you're chasing 'more,' 'next' and 'there,'" he says. "You promise yourself that when you get there, you'll be happy. And I promise you, you won't, because you'll always set another destination to go for." Instead, Dr. Holden says if you are unhappy with your life or looking to improve your score, there are two things you can do. "We have to learn to let go of our past, we have to give up all hopes for a perfect past. Let the past go, it's gone." After that, he says, "Take a vow of kindness. Be kinder to yourself and to others."
So the key? Don't live in the future or the past, live today. Too bad Dr. Holden doesn't know that Jesus already told us that in Matthew 6:34. Too bad I don't remember that in my own life as I am guilty of that "destination addiction", thinking that "if only" it would be better. Again if I embraced Philippines 4:11 and Hebrews 13:5 I would be content with today. I am thankful we have a Father who is full of grace and mercy, because I am way too human!!!!
7 comments:
Okay, I took the quiz too. I am in the middle too. I feel happy with my life, but there are always things I wish for or I wish could be better.
On a side note, is Oprah the most influential person in the world? Think about it.
Seems to me that happiness is also tied to self-esteem. If you are OK with who and what you are, you will be happy. That being said, as saved people, we should all be happy. It shouldn't matter where you live, what your income is, or what kind of car you drive, etc. This life is temporary, no need getting upset about what you don't have or what you haven’t done. By the way, isn’t it interesting that happiness seems to be tied to worldly things? I can't remember the title of the hymn, but the words to this song just popped in my head:
This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through, my treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore.
Wish I could remember more of the words. Anyway, we are truly blessed and our attitudes and actions should reflect that fact. Next time you get a little depressed over something, remember who your father is, and where you are going. If that doesn’t cheer you up, nothing will!
Excuse me for being verbose today, but I wanted to add another thought to my last post. Think about where you are going (heaven) and then go back and take the happiness test, and see if it makes a difference in your score. I bet it will!
I took the quiz and was "happily" surprised that I am extremely satisfied with life. There are things in this world that I would like to see changed, but this world is not our home. It will only get worse before the Lord returns...so everything that is bad is just telling me that God is getting nearer. Also, on what my dad wrote, I do consider Oprah very influential. More than the President? She may have more influence on America, but can she influence most national leaders? I know she has influenced a few, so maybe. I'm going to have to chew on this thought for awhile.
It's always amazing to me how TV talks about happiness or the lack thereof, but never relates any of it to God. We will never find true happiness or joy apart from God. I don't care how well you think you've got it together. Even when we are closest to God He doesn't promise us we will always be happy. But the hope we have in Him should fill our lives with more than we can imagine. I thank God for His grace and his mercy.
Happiness: We rarely feel it.
I would buy it, beg it, steal it,
Pay in coins of dripping blood
For this one transcendent good (Amy Lowell)
Post a Comment