GOD & I: OUR HOLY ENCOUNTERS "This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.'" Isaiah 48:17
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Steve sent me this article on the presidential candidate Fred Thompson the other day and asked me what I thought. http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=56112 So now I am asking all of you what do you think? Personally, it grieves my heart that the churches of Christ are not known to the world. Seems like everytime something happens (i.e. Mary Winkler) we get painted in such a bad light. Since Jesus said that people will know us by our love, how come that is not what we are known by? The other thing that bothers me is that someone representing the churches of Christ is making negative comments about Mr. Thompson without any concrete information. Seems like the scriptures also tell us if we have something against our brother we are to talk with him. So if Mr. Elrod actually has concerns about Mr. Thompson's attendance at a church I wonder if he tried contacting him before talking to the press. I just found the entire article misrepresenting the church that I know, and yet I know that it probably does acurately represent some churches. What the world doesn't realize is unlike denominations each church of christ is autonomous. But perhaps because so many of us try to label each other (i.e. conservative, liberal, acapella, instrumental, etc.) they just assume we are all the same. Nevertheless, the bigger issue to me is that I have not been able to find anything where Fred Thompson's life speaks volumes about his life in Christ. Once again, I say what should he be known by; where he goes to church or how he represents Christ in the world? Don't get me wrong, this is more a comment about me than anyone, after all do people know Lynn Leaming by where she goes to church and what she did in ministry or do they know her by the life she lives in the world? I confess I am guilty of not being active enough in the Lord's work outside the church walls. I hope that I can change that. And I hope that the world will begin to know Christ church by their love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
RIGHT ON. Your post was excellent!
I wonder if the church of Christ are the only ones that don't treat the wounded. We can't seem to get that we are to be a hospital for sinners.(which we all are) I like what you said about divisions.
Romans 16:16 "Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ send greetings. I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people." I am so glad that I am not a judge. I think some people have to stay up all night to come up with such nonesense. Like the women's role. Mr. Thompson is NOT running on church of Christ teaching. Oh, well, I will quit trying to preach. MCB
Post a Comment