Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lessons Learned

Most of you R.E. people have probably already heard, some of my other friends have not. Last night our sweet sister Sharon Chrisman and her 11 year old son Jared were in a terrible car crash right in front of our church building. They just happened to be coming home from a boy scout meeting and as they were passing the building a car came flying over the median at an estimated 70 mph (in a 40 mph zone). Two teenage boys, one is now dead. Jared, the 11 year old was released from the hospital with a sprained ankle. Sharon is still in ICU at Parkland with a broken ankle, occiptal break (around her eye) and a severe head gash. Fortunately she does not seem to have any brain damage and she is breathing on her own. When Steve and I heard about the accident we headed to the hospital in hopes that we could somehow be a blessing. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 became so real that we are able to comfort others because of the way we have recieved God's comfort. I have to admit as I was driving down there I told Steve I was going to take the Tollway instead of I75. I am still haunted that I did not try that route the night of my accident as my life would be so different. Nevertheless, as we were there Steve and I could not help but relive some of our own journey. I thought I would just share a few random thoughts of the lessons we have learned.
1. The importance of our faith community. Within 30 minutes of hearing the news we were at the hospital and yet when we arrived there were already 10 more people from our church there. It was a blessing to be part of a prayer coverage for the Chrismans.
2. Our presence at the hospital touches more than "our" own. Last night Larry Rehn brought a large vat of Starbuck's coffee and some banana bread. He ended up having an opportunity to share it with a homeless lady that was in the waiting room. We had lots of opportunities to pray for others while we were there as well.
3. We are a compassionate people. Our thoughts and prayers are also on the other families or individuals involved in the accident.
4. Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue as you hear people talk, because in a sincere effort to try to console, people sometimes just say the wrong things. It is not a good time to tell "war" stories of others who you know who have recovered, or offer your advice on how the person should handle things. It is really best to just listen.
5. Everyone's experiences are their own. Even if you have been in their shoes the way you experienced something may not be the same, so instead of offering comparisons wait for the injured party to ask you questions if they want to know your experiences.
6. Life can change in a blink of an eye, so make sure you don't have any regrets.
I asked Larry tonight if he needed anything, he said "just your prayers", I can assure him that we will all honor that request. I am a blessed and grateful reciever of the power of those prayers.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

good things to remember.

Liz Moore said...

I will be praying for your friends.

Anonymous said...

When I heard Larry's 11;00 update and he said Sharon remembered the French horn lesson today that needed to be cancelled, I smiled and thought of Steve when he told us he remembered to cancel you dentist appt that you had the next day after your accident.

Like you said better not to share war stories just listen. I bet you could have plenty to share. I imagine it is "eye opener" being on the other side.

So happy that Gods blessings are pouring out at Parkland. I was hoping they would like they did at Baylor and Children's.

Tim Perkins said...

Lynn: Thanks for the update. And thanks for the advice. People mean well but often do flub up when it comes time to express concern. Carole and I will certainly be praying for the whole Chrisman family.

Silly me. I hadn't clicked on your name when you added a comment on my blog. So I didn't know about your resignation until now. I just want to tell you how impressive your service to God and His children was. When I was a "tapper" in Bible Hours where you were in charge, I'd end up getting engrossed in your lesson and forget about my tapping responsibilities. Just think about all the lives you've touched!

I'll continue to remember you in our prayers. As you said in one your blog entries, not even Steve knows exactly what you've been through. So we will pray for physical, mental, and spiritual blessings to flood your life as you make this transition.

edensfamily said...

Thanks for the post. It is amazing how much you can learn from others just by listening!! Praying for your friends.