GOD & I: OUR HOLY ENCOUNTERS "This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: 'I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.'" Isaiah 48:17
Sunday, March 04, 2007
Part of my Sunday morning ritual is listening to Dr. Charles Stanley as I am getting dressed for worship. I like Dr. Stanley because He preaches very direct sermons that are very textual. This morning he said something that struck a cord with me. He was talking about the verse in Psalms 37:4-"Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." It is one of the promise verses I have struggled with, but this morning Dr. Stanley's sermon led me to be confessional, that perhaps the reason I do not necessarily get the desires of my heart (which right now would be healing of my leg) is because I do not delight in the Lord. I love the Lord, and I think I am about the Lord's business, but do I delight in Him? Then in worship this morning we sang "My God And I" and there is the phrase "we walk and talk as good friend should and do". And I once again had to ask myself do I? I pray, but it is usually what I do when I am going to sleep at night and usually fall asleep while praying. If the only time I talked to my friends or Steve was when I was so tired that I fell to sleep talking to them would they feel I thought they were important? I don't think so. I do have some other times of prayer but not on a daily basis. I am afraid that if you looked at my habits they would say I delight more in television than I do in my God. I pray that today my heart has been pricked and I will truly delight in the Lord and spend more time in His word letting Him speak to me and more time in prayer talking and listening to Him. Not so that I will get the desires of my heart, only because I love Him and need to spend more time in that love relationship.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I understand your struggles. One thing that helped me was I started talking to God throughout my day. Remembering to thank Him for the little things that happen throughout the day, asking Him questions throughout the day about things going on, etc. It makes me feel more like I have a dialogue going on with God throughout my day more like I would with a friend. I don't think we can ever really attain where we want to be in our conversation with God until we see Him face to face, but my earthly dialogue is getting better. Blessings!
Post a Comment