Sunday, February 25, 2007

Okay, I have to admit I am sitting here watching the Academy Award Red Carpet. What is it that fascinates us all about the whole Hollywood scene? I know I am not the only one because there was a recent blog post and replies about keeping up by reading People or Us. I use to be able to say that I had seen all the Oscar Nominated movies, but not anymore. I am ashamed to say that the other day I rented on cable "Little Miss Sunshine" because it was nominated and some others had said it was so good. I should have turned it off, but kept saying "It has to get better", then when the grandfather died I thought "yeah, maybe now the f**** word will disappear", but I was wrong, it continued. I don't understand why that particular word has to be in the movies so much. In real life I don't know that I have ever heard that word said in my circle of influence (thank goodness). But nevertheless, why was this movie nominated as the best movie? What makes dysfunctional families notable? Anyway...the only other movie I saw on the Oscar list was "The Devil Wears Prada", Deb Tietjen and I agreed if you saw the trailers you saw the best part of this movie. I have to admit that I really enjoy the escape of movies, but struggle anymore to watch movies that will not violate Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." I wish I could say I was able to always let the scriptures prevail, but already admitted in the first of this blog that it isn't true. I am afraid I do way too much justifying. So how do you make those decisions?

2 comments:

Amberly said...

I'll be the first to admit that I don't censor the movies I watch as much as I should. Sometimes that has worked to my advantage, though. For instance, Crash was one of the best films I have ever watched. I didn't even notice the harsh language until someone else pointed out that it bothered her. However, despite the language, I think the movie & its message were so powerful & I would recommend that everybody watch it! And, that's similar to how I feel about Little Miss Sunshine. The language in this movie did bother me a little more, but more than that, I loved the message about family supporting each other through thick & through thin & being non-judgmental. As dysfunctional as they were, they were family first through every trial & hardship & they stuck together. I think that is a great message for every kind of family imaginable!

Unknown said...

Cody and I netflixed Little Miss Sunshine and weren't impressed. I guess I thought it was boring, and unrealistic.
I used to stick to a rule of never watching "r" movies, though I bend that now sometimes. Back when I did watch more "r" movies I almost always left the movie thinking "well, that was a waste of time...just a bunch of trash." Sometimes there are "r" movies that are worth seeing even though there is nudity and bad language because the movie subject is important and real life has nudity and bad language in it. But many "r" movies are just about stupid things and the nudity and language are thrown in just because.