Friday, January 23, 2009

The All Seeing Eye

Have you seen the Nationwide commercial where the guy runs into a van,knocking the bumper off and a nun gets out of the van walks to his car and points a ruler and gently taps his car, smiles, then walks off? He thinks he is in the clear when all the sudden he is struck by a bolt of lightening. Just made me think of how I grew up thinking that exact thing about God. That He was this all seeing eye waiting to catch me in a sin and strike me dead. Well...slight exaggeration, but none the less I still was in fear that I would die with any unconfessed sin and be damned. I remember a Bible class teacher teaching us in a girl's class that we didn't want to be in a compromising position with a boy when the Lord returns. It made me fear that He might come when I was in the shower. Seriously, I was a sophomore in college before I ever heard of grace. I remember how freeing it was and yet it took many years for me to grasp it to the extent it would change my life. A book that really helped was Classic Christianity by Bob George. I remember him explaining Romans 6:14-"For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!" He said it was like finding someone eating out of a trash can and inviting them in to a feast and they say "No thank you, I would rather just keep eating this trash." The more and more I understand God's grace the more and more I want to embrace I Peter 1:15-16-But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." There is still so much in my life that could be holier, but instead of living in fear about those areas that still need to be transformed, I live in thankfulness for God's amazing grace that is going to cover my sins. "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered." Romans 4:7

1 comment:

Tim Perkins said...

One of Carole's and my goals in raising our kids was to make sure they understood grace from the beginning. We also were in our 20's when we discovered that we weren't living under the law...and what a great transformation that made in our theology!