Sunday, January 18, 2009

What To Do

Today Steve and I met with a church in the metroplex that is looking for a children's minister. They had called me several months ago and asked if I would be interested in applying. I told them I didn't think so, that all the reasons I stepped down from Richardson East were the same reasons that would make it hard to be in full time ministry again. Well, God did not give me peace and I called them back after several weeks and told them while I still wasn't feeling called to full time ministry that what I thought I could do was mentor a younger candidate. They had said they had several candidates right out of college, but could not see hiring someone with no experience. There are more and more Children's Ministers coming out of our Christian colleges, the problem is that they are finding it difficult to find positions. I personally know of 3 who have all gone into teaching because they did not find ministry positions. The problem is that very few churches are big enough to have two children's ministers where one can mentor another. If a church has never had a full time children's minister and hires an inexperienced one where do they get their training? None of the other ministers can help very much because they are not involved with children's curriculum and don't know the nuts and bolts of ministering to children. So I just thought perhaps by offering myself as a mentor this congregation might just give one of the younger applicants a try. I am not sure how it will work out, or even if is what God wants, but it is interesting to think about. It was a blessing to meet with the six couples today and to feel that I was contributing and that I was helping them vision even further how important children's ministry is to the life of a church. So if you don't mind saying a prayer for this situation in the next few days I would appreciate the help. I honestly want to hear God's call and know for sure what He would have me to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know whatever comes out of this, will show God's hand it leading you.