Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sunday Snippets

Steve and I were back at Richardson East this morning after our summer sabbatical. Even though we didn't get home until 8:00 p.m. last night from Nebraska, we were there bright and early for the new Luke series in Bible class. We went to a new class and I liked the fact it was small. We spent some time in Luke 11 and I saw something I had not seen before. Goes somewhat with my post a few days ago about unanswered prayer. After Jesus says, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open, ask and you will recieve, He goes on to explain that a father would not give a snake to a child who asked for a fish, or a scorpion to a child who asked for an egg. It isn't neccesarily an answer to prayer that Jesus promises but the gift of the Holy Spirit. Luke 11:12 "how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

We sang a new song today (new to RE, not to me) but I was ministered to by the words to this song again like so many others by Chris Tomlin.

How Can I Keep From Singing

There is an endless song
Echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring

And though the storms may come
I am holding on
To the rock I cling

How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enough
How amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

I will lift my eyes
In the darkest night
For I know my Savior lives

And I will walk with You
Knowing You'll see me through
And sing the songs You give

I can sing in the troubled times
Sing when I win
I can sing when I lose my step
And fall down again
I can sing 'cause You pick me up
Sing 'cause You're there
I can sing 'cause You hear me, Lord
When I call to You in prayer
I can sing with my last breath
Sing for I know
That I'll sing with the angels
And the saints around the throne

John then began a new sermon series entitled "New Creation". I could not help but think to myself "if it is true that my old self has passed away and in Christ I am a new creation" as 2 Corinthians 5:17 says then I wonder why I continue to struggle with the old flesh habits? Sometimes I sure don't feel like much of a new creation.

Verse 20 goes on to say "We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us." I don't believe in tatooing, but if I did I need this verse tatooed to the top of my hand so I can see it all the time to remind myself that God is entrusting me to be His message of reconciliation.

John told us to meditate on these 4 thoughts this week:
1. When do you most sense this world's need for reconciliation to God?
2. What aspects of your own life need reconciliation to God?
3. Where do you see God doing the ministry of reconciliation in the world?
4. How have you experienced God's ministry of reconciliation in your own life?

Would love to hear some of your answers to these questions. I'll try to share mine later this week. Blessings on your week!

No comments: