Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sunday Snippets

Different blogs I read have taken a day and have days where they post the same kind of information each week (i.e. Music Monday, Thankful Tuesdays, etc.) I have decided since Steve and I will be visiting other churches this summer that I would post some observations from whereever we attend worship and call the post Sunday Snippets.

This morning we went to Highland Oaks, we had heard that this was going to be Tim Spivey's last sermon after being their minister for 5 years. Both Steve and I were very impressed at the way Tim chose to say goodbye to that church. He used the opportunity to cast a vision for their future. What I thought was interesting is that he used the same sermon text that he used in his first sermon in October 2002.
His sermon that day was about his vision of ministry with that church. And today it was his vision of how they would continue on in being the church that God has called them to be.

Highland Oaks worship minister is Chad Higgins and he does a great job of helping to bring you into God's presence. The opening Bible reading was from Psalms 29.
1 Ascribe to the LORD, O mighty ones,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
worship the LORD in the splendor of his [a] holiness.

3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the LORD thunders over the mighty waters.

4 The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is majestic.

5 The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
the LORD breaks in pieces the cedars of Lebanon.

6 He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,
Sirion [b] like a young wild ox.

7 The voice of the LORD strikes
with flashes of lightning.

8 The voice of the LORD shakes the desert;
the LORD shakes the Desert of Kadesh.

9 The voice of the LORD twists the oaks [c]
and strips the forests bare.
And in his temple all cry, "Glory!"

10 The LORD sits [d] enthroned over the flood;
the LORD is enthroned as King forever.

11 The LORD gives strength to his people;
the LORD blesses his people with peace

These verses really set the stage this morning for my heart to engage God in worship.

During communion we sang all to Jesus I surrender, but instead of singing the chorus we started singing "Lord Take Control". It was a great blend of two songs.

A couple of points in the sermon that caused me to really think were:


For God's Sake Be Excellent: Tim said that we are conditioned to do our best at sports, in school, so why would we not give God our best? Why would we not make sure our ministries are the very best they can be? Our lives the very best they can be. Made me think isn't that what it means to love God with ALL of our heart? I have to confess that many times in my life it is what I think is good enough that I give to God, not what I know that is best.

So if you were to take a guess at what is the most repeated command in the Bible, what would it be? I am not sure what I thought it was, but I would not have guessed "do not be afraid". I came home and did some research and found that it is repeated over 100 times. So does worry have a place in my life? If I worry am I not trusting? Not quite the context Tim was using the reference in, but it did get me thinking down a different track. He did say "if you want to grow a church point it to it's greatest fear". I wonder how leadership determines that?

We had heard that even though Tim had resigned from this position it was not what he really wanted to do. We don't know any details and we don't have to know, but we were impressed that Tim's humility in preaching a sermon that honored the elders and complimented them for their faith and shepherding hearts. He prayed that when they look back on his time with them that they would all be able to see that it was just the starting place for the mighty work God was going to do.

So on this Sunday Snippet day it would be great of some of you would also share a snippet or two from your time with God today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this. The beginning of your outline of the sermon, where you talked about givin your very best made me think of what we talked about in the Youth Group this morning. Which only had 9 students because everyone else is in Mexico...

We're doing a study on Philippians right now (this morning was the first half of Philippias 3) and we're watching these videos by Jeff Walling and he made the comment about all of the things we have that we think we can't live without. And how all of the things on this earth are worthless and don't mean anything to God. He doesn't even care about how much or how little we do with our churches. Well, Josh Eason (who's taught in place of CP) started talking about why we dress up for church.

I've had many conversations about this with my dad. I've given him the normal, teenage answer, "God doesn't care what I wear to church", with which he responds, "Would you wear those jeans to a wedding??" And when he's asked people that before they tell him, "Well, of coruse not." And so my dad just says, "Why are you more willing to dress up for someone's wedding than you are to enter the place where God's people dwell together??"

That kinda changed my whole perspective and so I told that to Josh and the rest of the kids in class and it kinda made them think, too. That's why, when I read the part you wrote about giving (or in this case wearing) our very best for God. We also got onto the topic of wearing jeans and still carrying yourself as a child of God in them, not a disrespectful, slobby pig. :P

-Bee-

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT BLOGS. I read alot of them. Yours is at the top of my
list. ALWAYS just inspiring
messages and thoughts. I am a
new Christian and hopefull I can
write things like this when I mature. You are AWESOME.
Nora L.

Tim Perkins said...

Lynn: Thanks so much for your perspective. You saw some things that slipped right past me and I appreciate you illuminating me.

The idea about excellence for God is interesting. I think I would be safe in saying that there have been times at HO where some, wanting the best for God, decided to spend scads of money on the "best money could buy", when a more disciplined approach would have pleased God more. I honestly think that it's not the exquisite taste in sanctuary materials that will lead folks to Jesus, but rather excellence in attitude and service.

Lynn Leaming said...

Nora L.,
Wow! Talk about a comment making me feel extra humble. Thank you so much. That God can use this blog to speak to people I have never even met just amazes me. As a blogger you never know if you should keep on or quit. Knowing that people like you might be encouraged by it wants me to continue to try to give God glory. Just keep your eyes centered on Him and I know He will continue to be faithful to you as He matures you. Praising Him that you are on the right path with the right heart. Thanks again for your kind comments.