We returned to Highland Oaks this morning for worship. My dad was able to go with us and made it through the entire service and lunch afterwards. This was his first time to be to worship service in 18 months,so that was a big deal. He loves catfish, so we took him to a catfish buffet (Ole Whisker's) afterwards.

Lynn Anderson was the guest speaker at Highland Oaks today. Don't know how many times we have heard him speak over the years? Many. He is a gifted speaker. Today he had a sermon for father's based on David's life. So here are some snippets from the sermon.
He began by quoting a scripture in Hosea 8:7 "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind" (but he actually said Joel and I did not discover the error until looking it up for the blog). He then talked about David's life and even though he committed the sin with Bathsheba and had her husband murdered that he repented of that sin and God forgave him. However, just because we are forgiven doesn't mean that we don't have to reap the consequences.
Lynn went on to make these points about David. As a father he was:
1. Out of sight: He had so many wives and so many children, he could not give
them all personal attention. He commanded armies. So he was not real
available.
2. Out of touch: He did not know his boys. He did not see in Amnon his lust
and greed. He did not recognize that his son was following in his
footsteps of rape, and murder.
3. Out of line: His own behavior had been out of line and he did not hold his
boys accountable because of his own guilt.
4. Out of control: How do you address in your children what is a reflection of
your own sin?
5. But he was not out of time: look at his relationship with Solomon. They
planned temples of worship together and wrote songs together. How would of
David's other sons have been different if they had seen and/or heard David
pray?
Lynn quoted a U.S. News and World Report article about a survey done with 1000 teenagers. 25% said they did not discuss their daily lives with their parents. 42% had not recieved any words of praise in the past 24 hours, 50% had not recieved a hug or a kiss and 54% had not heard the words "I love you". I tried to find these statistics and discovered they are from 1985. I wonder if they would still be true today??
Lynn ended the sermon with reminding Father's that it is not too late their story has not been finished yet.
We sang one of my favorite songs "When The Night Is Falling" by Dennis Jernigan. I love the idea of God singing over me.
Tonight at Life Group we continued listening to each other's faith stories and heard an incredible testimony of a sister who has faced a horrible trajedy in her family. It just reminded me again of how important testimonies are and that each of us share the wonderful deeds of our father.
Would love to hear some of your snippets from Sunday.
4 comments:
With our sound system on the fritz, I'm amazed you were able to get all that down, Lynn! Surely you took notes! All the people seated near me this morning talked of how difficult it was for us to hear and understand the speakers. Hopefully, the system will be repaired very soon.
The only time I heard Lynn Anderson speak before this morning was in the early 70's. Tim and I were in Abilene for his National Guard weekend and I went to church with my brother-in-law, Charlie. Lynn was the preacher at Highland at the time. I was in awe. He quoted the book of Luke! Never looked at notes or his Bible. Charlie told me he did that quite often, that he could quote many books of the Bible! I memorized Matthew 5,6, and 7 when I was a sophomore in high school and can't even begin to imagine how I'd memorize a whole book!
Hi, Lynn. I'm stuck in wonderful Houston traffic, and couldn't find your email address on my blackberry. I saw your post to CEA, and wanted to let you know that the area Houston churches are also doing a RoadMaP this year. Since Von is now in Dallas, and Tulsa is pretty far for us. We wanted to make sure to keep the amazing adventure alive here.
Lynn: It kills me that I didn't get over to speak to your dad. It was pandemonium after church, as I am responsible for pushing my mother-in-law's wheelchair, and many were interested in speaking with her. It was such a pleasure meeting your folks back in January.
Good afternoon. I got your message. I still can't locate your email address, though. Our RoadMaP is August 1-2 (kind of a mini-map) at Memorial Church of Christ in Houston (my church). We already have about 5 other area churches signed up to attend.
Post a Comment