Tuesday, June 10, 2008

First Light Part Two

The Book Of Beginnings says that God, the Creator, took great care to "separate the light from the darkness" (Genesis 1:4,18) He made a clear distinction between things of light and the things of the darkness. How can you tell the difference between things of light and things of the darkness? What criteria do you use as your measuring stick?

For me things of the darkness feel like darkness. They are usually filled with guilt not peace, depression not thankfulness, envy not rejoicing, bitterness not forgiveness. Things of the light have a lighter feel to them and only bring feelings of joy. When I am in the light I don't need to justify my decisions. My measuring stick has to be "be holy as I am holy" I Peter 1:16. If I am constantly aiming to be as holy as God...it informs every decision I make.

Peniel, whose name means "face of God" makes this statement "I have learned that those that make religion their God will not have God for their religion". Do you agree or disagree? Why?

I agree. Seems like there are a lot of people that "talk the talk" and don't "walk the walk". I know that I am guilty of that myself. Whenever we get caught up just doing the right things (i.e. go to worship but just go through the motions, pray, read the Bible etc.), but we do so without relationship with the Lord without letting Him grow us deeper, without being transformed more and more into His image, then we are just worshipping religion and not God Himself.

Darkness is always all around us. If you expect it, rather than being surprised by it, how will your response change the next time evil is done to you?

In John 16:33 Jesus tells us that we will have trouble. So if we live life expecting that then we can be more thankful and rejoice more everyday that we don't have trouble. Jesus also told us when we are weak He is our strength. Don't know about you but that brings me great comfort and makes it easier to know that nothing will happen that I can not handle with His help.

No comments: