Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Dad

After 400+ posts you tend to forget what you have already said. I had to look back to see if I had posted about my dad before and I don't think I have. For Father's Day we took my dad to the Chinese Acrobats at the Eismann this afternoon. We all really enjoyed the show and found their dexterity to be amazing. We especially enjoyed the fellow who stacked six chairs on top of a small platform and then did handstands on the top. Who thinks of such things? Where do you go eat after Chinese Acrobats? The Great China Wall Buffet of course. We had a good time. We were just so thankful that my father was up to going out and did so well! Hopefully we will be able to continue our Father's Day celebration tomorrow and go to worship together. He loves catfish, so we are going to Old Whiskers for lunch.

I am just so very thankful that God is allowing us to have more time with my father. He is anxious to go home and be with God, but we selfishly want him to stay with us a while longer. He feels like he does not have a lot to contribute right now since his health does not allow him to do the things he would like to do. But we are just so blessed to be in his presence. He is auch a gentle giant. So humble. He loves God with all of His heart.

The reason I love my dad so much is because His love for God overflows on me. He and my mother married when I was 15. He had three children, she had three children,5of us were teenagers when they married. I only lived with him my sophmore, junior, and senior year but from the get go he loved me just like I was his own blood. He never used the stepdaughter terminology and I never called him my step father. The more he loved me the more I was able to understand God's love and the way that He has adopted us and made us his children. I know so many other blended families who did not have this uncondtional love for one another. How very thankful I am that God blessed me with a Father that knows how to love like He does.

How thankful I am that He and I share faith in our God and have the assurance that we will one day spend eternity in heaven together. I don't have that same assurance with my birth father. We do not share faith. But God has done a major healing in our relationship where at least we do communicate (for 15 years we did not).

So I hope you all have a wonderful time with your father tomorrow. Happy Father's Day to one and all!

1 comment:

Carole said...

What a sweet tribute to your father, Lynn! I was blessed to meet him and your mom at their home and can see why you love them both so much. I know he feels he was the blessed one to be able to call you his daughter.