Friday, June 27, 2008

My John McCain Discovery

I am not much for talking about politics. I just find the whole system pretty frustrating. The other day I was reading Tim Perkin's blog and he had some pretty strong opinions about Obama one of which is he is not pro-life. I thought I would go out and see what John McCain's position was because I really had not taken the time to see where he stands on much of anything. Well, I wanted to post what I found out, because it was the first piece of information that I have read about him that actually impressed me.

"On “Meet the Press,” McCain said he had “come to the conclusion that the exceptions for rape, incest, and the life of the mother are legitimate exceptions” to an outright ban on abortions. “I don’t claim to be a theologian, but I have my moral beliefs.” If Roe v. Wade is overturned and abortion outlawed, McCain said he believes doctors who performed abortions would be prosecuted. “But I would not prosecute a woman” who obtained an abortion."

"Of the remaining pro-life Republicans, none can match McCain’s record of opposing abortion. He has served in Congress for 24 years, and cast a lot of votes on abortion legislation during that time. His record is not merely exemplary — it is perfect. McCain’s votes on abortion really could not be better. A campaign advertisement in South Carolina says of John McCain: “Pro-life. Not just recently. Always. Never wavering.” The ad is true.
...
Twenty-four years of service at the national level — almost all of them in the Senate — make a big difference when we are talking about the next President, compared to candidates who have been small-state governors. There is no need to speculate or to rely upon promises or take matters on faith when it comes to McCain and abortion. He has demonstrated himself to be the best pro-life choice.

I mentioned a recent South Carolina advertisement about McCain’s pro-life voting record. As good as that record is, the ad contained still more powerful evidence of his pro-life convictions. This part of the ad shows Cindy McCain walking beside a diminutive Catholic nun. Mrs. McCain is holding an infant in her arms. It is (the ad text says) “little Bridget, a baby she and John adopted in 1993 from Mother Teresa’s orphanage in Bangladesh. Bridget has been a great blessing to the McCain family.”

Indeed she has. But there is a little more to the story than is there told. For one thing, there were two babies. Mrs. McCain brought home a second infant from the same orphanage. That baby became the adopted child of the McCain’s best friends. Second, Mrs. McCain did not go to the orphanage in order to adopt. While she was touring the facility, Mother Teresa unexpectedly said to her (in so many words): “If you do not take those two babies with you, now, they could die right here. But you can save them.” Cindy McCain did.

I believe that there is a profound lesson here about what it means to be pro-life, a lesson which goes beyond the important (but obvious) fact that the McCains live by the same principles which lie behind John’s voting record. “Little Bridget” was not sought out by the McCains. She was not expected or planned for. She was an unanticipated gift whom the McCains welcomed, not because she was antecedently “wanted” by them, but because she was a baby, a unique and unrepeatable human being with a right to life because she is a human being and not because some other people’s plans include her — or don’t."


Just thought I would share some quotes from Googling. Perhaps there are others that didn't know this about John McCain either.

2 comments:

Tim Perkins said...

Lynn: Thanks for posting this! It's important to get the word out about McCain's pro-life stance. As I said in my blog, he's far from the perfect Republican candidate, but in this matter alone, he is worth voting for.

Anonymous said...

I loved this! And I'm so glad to see people that are supporting McCain. I'm a moderate voter according to a test we took in my Government class, so I'm not restricted to a party and I don't fit the prerequisites for a Republican, but is that stopping me from thinking McCain would do a wonderful job leading this country?? No siree. :]

-Bee-

(PS) Tell Steve I really appreciated what he said at the store the other day and that it was nice seeing him.