Monday, April 16, 2007

Forgive My Enemies

I know we are all grieving about the shootings at Virginia Tech today. While I know that our hearts and prayers go out to the families of all those who died. What about the family of the shooter. How do you live life knowing your son, brother, nephew, grandson, etc. is responsible for the worst school massacre in history? Then my heart has been aching for the 13 year old Richardson girl whose father tried killing her, killed her 6 year old sister and himself. If she lives how do you recover from those horrible memories? No one should have to endure that kind of pain, yet everyday people do. I know my accident does not even begin to compare to either of these, but someone did take my life as I knew it. The way I have been able to deal with that is I refuse to give him anymore of it than he took. If I am filled with hate or obsess over the fact he has not been caught then he gets more of my life. But more importantly the Word tells me I will only be forgiven to the degree that I forgive others and I know how much forgivness I need! May the Lord give us all the ability to forgive and pray for our enemies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a newly wed, 19 yrs old, I had a neighbor lady that I had spoken to a few times. One day she called me and said she was going to kill herself. She had a little 3 yr old son, no husband. I talked to her a while to focus on the needs of her son and tried to plant seeds of hope from the Word. I invited her to church and she somehow made it through the day. I know she had little to no self worth. We spoke now and again, I don't remember if she ever came to church. We can't save everyone, but we can start with the one next door and continue planting Jesus love, one seed at a time! Life on this earth is too short and eternity is too long to not get involved! Caren