Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Only My God

Today we finished our study of God's Amazing Grace in Ladies Bible Class. One of the final questions was "which aspect of grace did you find to be the most challenging". My answer was "extending to grace to homosexuals". I just find the thought of their behavior disgusting and don't know how to reach out to them in a grace filled way. But...I know that Jesus would want me to be salt and light to them just like anyone else. So....2 hours later I am working CAREcorp (our ministry to those in need). It was a busy day and our 12:00 appointment showed up at 12:30 at the same time as our 12:30 appointment. I helped the woman who just needed food as Andrea helped the woman needing help with her utilities. While I was finishing up with my woman our next appointment came in and Andrea was still busy. So I went over and introduced myself to Michael, who had come in for rental assistance and who I thought to be homosexual. I thought to myself "this is not funny God". I listened to Michael's story, was able to offer him some help. Got him a few bags of food to help out as well. At some point he mentioned that he was HIV positive. I asked him some about that and he was diagnosed in 1999. I asked Michael if he had a church home and he said "Cathedral of Hope" which made it conclusive that indeed he was homosexual. I told him we would welcome Him to come visit with us anytime and then I asked him if I could pray with him.
After we finished he said "Wow, thank you, that was nice". And I shook his hand again, and thought to myself "thank you Holy Spirit, only you could have given me the appropriate words to say, and by the way God...I do think you are funny!" Be careful where you need to grow, as He will always provide you with the opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn. This is a note to say, "Thank you." My name is David Plunkett, and I am on the staff at the Cathedral of Hope. Thank you for assisting Michael. As I am sure it is the case with your church, more and more people are coming to us for help these days. I pray that at some point we will be able to return the grace to a member of your family of faith.

I also want to invite you to worship with us sometime. While we are known as the "Big Gay Church," not all of our members are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. Many parents and friends worship with us, as well as folks who just like our message of God's inclusive love. From the worship service itself and the sermon on most Sundays, you wouldn't even know that is how we are known! We would love for you to join us as we worship God together.

Blessings,
David