Friday, May 30, 2008

Movie Hype: To See Or Not To See?

For weeks there has been so much hype about the release of "Sex In The City". The trailers make it look like so much fun. I have to admit I only watched it once or twice on HBO and did not see what the hub-bub was all about. But thought I would just look at the reviews to see about the movie. There are several different sites I look at that give a movie review from a Christian perspective.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/
Language/Profanity: Multiple profanities, mostly involving the “f” word.
Sex/Nudity: Be forewarned: This is definitely the HBO, not the edited TBS version of “Sex and the City,” so there’s plenty of push-the-envelope sexual content. Not only do these ladies pontificate extensively about their sex lives, (and graphically so), but we see Miranda and her husband Steve (who are married, incidentally) go at it in one scene (with both male and female nudity with breasts shown). In what’s an ongoing joke through the movie, Samantha watches a neighborhood couple have sex several times, complete with male and female nudity and plenty of leave-nothing-to-the-imagination vocal hysterics. Samantha’s neighbor apparently showers in public, and there’s a lingering close-up of his rear. Later, Samantha lies naked on the kitchen table with only sushi covering her in the appropriate spots. Her boyfriend Smith’s backside is shown in a couple of different scenes, along with their sexual encounters. There’s a kiss between two men at a party. There’s another ongoing joke about Samantha’s recently fixed dog who is always humping anything it deems worthy. And basically, the list could go on and on, meaning there’s no shortage of graphic sex—featuring marrieds and singles— in this city.

http://www.crosswalk.com/movies/
Craft-wise, SEX AND THE CITY is well written, well performed and well directed. No matter how much heart and sincerity this movie may have, however (including some moral, redemptive themes of forgiveness), SEX AND THE CITY is a movie that any media-wise person should want to avoid. The movie’s content is abhorrent. It contains an over-abundance of sexual content, including several scenes of depicted sex and even one scene of group sex. Along with the strong sexual content, of course, comes a lot of unnecessary nudity, including partial full frontal nudity. There is also lying, adultery, drunkenness, and a further normalization of homosexual and transsexual perversion.

http://preview.gospelcom.net/
Never having seen the TV series, I am what is known as a SATC virgin. Indeed, I kept looking for Teri Hatcher, suddenly realizing she’s in that other TV series about women behaving badly. I knew it was going to be bawdy, but honestly had no clue as to just how raunchy the material would become, with its humor ranging from less than subtle sexual references to sight gags concerning pubic hair and diarrhea. Even more disturbing than the several sexual situations, which were played out like a porno film, was the attitude toward the priorities of life. The Sarah Jessica Parker character is rich and lives to shop. (She has shoes that cost over $500.) Watching this film you’d have no idea that there was poverty in the world or that anyone cared about spiritual matters. It’s downright decadent.

I won't be going to see it based on the reviews. And I won't ask if you are or not. But I do have a question, these people that write the Christian reviews. Does the end justify the means? Is it okay for them to go see such movies in order to warn me why I shouldn't go see them? I am glad they exist because I used to just go to movies blindly without educating myself first. It helps me to make better decisions (since the rating system doesn't always work, I've seen some PG-13 movies that were worse than R rated). Anyway...when you look at the decline of morality in movies from when the country was up in arms for Rhett Butler saying "damn" in Gone with the Wind to now where there is multiple use of the"f" word and nudity and sex and nobody flinches?? Why is it not considered pornography when there is sexual intercourse with nudity at a movie, but it is on the computer? I wonder where our morality will be in another 25 years? I can only pray the Lord comes before then.

4 comments:

Roger Cook said...

There are some movies that you can just "know" are bad from the title. SATC is one of them. Also, with all the hype about the series, a certain level of cultural familiarity should be available to you so that you can take a pretty good guess that your mind would need an SOS pad to get out what should not have gotten in in the first place.

That said, for movies that may be more questionable (rather than clearly over the line as is SATC), these reviews are a valuable tool. With much prayer and meditation, some people have chosen to expose themselves to these things so that they can correctly warn other people rather than working on rumors and unknowns.

How valuable they are for movies whose subject matter and advertising campaigns clearly reveal them to be immoral hives of scum and villiany I am not sure. If you see an ad for a movie that shows four feet protruding from a bed, I don't think you need a count of F-words to know you don't need to see that movie.

Anonymous said...

It makes me so sad that they no longer make movies like they did in the 60's. Remember all the great Doris Day/Rock Hudson and Doris Day/Cary Grant movies? Good clean romantic comedies and chick flicks were easy to find, even into the 70's while we were dating and newly married. Most of our dates were movie dates. What to kids do on dates now? I would have died of embarrassment to sit through a movie with a date if it had been like today's movies. Tim and I have about boycotted movies. We went to one a few months ago that was rated PG13 and appeared to be okay, but it was awful. :(
Carole Perkins

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one that's NOT going to see this movie! I'm 17 and most people would think someone my age would be all for seeing this because I, too, am desensitised to what is wrong. I assure you though, I have no desire to see this. When all my friends said they really wanted to see it, I just shook my head. This isn't even one worth getting in an argument for, but that's how my friends are of course.

Also, as I was reading the first review, I thouht the same thing you did! Is it really okay for THEM to see these movies just so they can tell us they're bad?? I personally don't think so. It'd definitely be nicer if they just figured by the reasons for rating that it would not be good to see. (Maybe that's too simple for them??)

I remember when I was 13 the movie Thirteen came out and it's about this girl that basically goes through a bunch of peer pressure and starts doing drugs, gets her face pierced (I think), and I think even has a scene with two girls kissing. I dunno, I never got to see it. When I was in Blockbuster wanting to rent it about a year after it hit thestres, I didn't even take it to my dad after reading the resons for the PG-13 rating. I knew what the answer would be.

With that being said, maybe I'm doin' okay in that area, haha. I'm nto made of money anyway, I think I'm gonna save it for the REALLY worthwhile movies. :]

-Bee-

Anonymous said...

First of all, I would like to
give kudos to Britney. She seems to be a delightful Christian teen and an example to her peers.
I also agree with her about anyone
going to see such movies. It is
my firm belief that no Christian should go see R-rated movies and most pg-13. I know most will not like the saying, "could you take Jesus with you?" But, that does not make it the right saying. Because He does live in us. I think it is time for God's children to stand up to Hollywood.
We are supporting their porns. I
am sure that God is not pleased with that. TV is going along that way too. When are we going to take sides. We are either a child of God or a child of the devil.
"as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
Thanks for your warnings. Keep your great blogs coming.

MM