Steve's brother Russ surprised me with setting up wireless access at his mother's house. Thanks Russ! So I have spent today catching up on blogs and emails while Steve took his mother to three different appointments. Russ lives about 500 yards from Steve's mother and has had the burden of being her full time care taker since Steve's father passed about 5 years ago. Since her accident back in March he has had to leave work several times a day to either take her to therapy or to come home and take the dog out. Chewy (the dog) is 14 years old and has gone blind and has diabetes. She requires lots of extra attention. So this week our goal is to give him some relief from both of their care.
I spent the morning sitting out on the back deck reading a book called Mad Mary by Liz Curtis Higgs. I think I have already read this book because as I am reading it several things feel familiar but I cannot remember how it ends. Does this happen to anyone else besides me? I do the same thing with movies sometimes. I don't remember seeing them till almost the end and then I remember the ending. Don't know what that says about my attention span. Anyway...it was a beautiful morning and I enjoyed the deck even though I didn't see the wildlife that I usually do when I am here. Steve's dad always kept the bird feeders filled around the deck and there were always beautiful finches (all different colors), but you can tell the touch of his hand is not here. I know Russ does the best he can because he works full time and gets called in for all sorts of overtime. I sat and could not help but wish I could physically get out and help trim dead branches off trees and mow the back. There are 10 acres to be mowed and the back hasn't been cut and doesn't look as good as it used to. But...I would never say a word, and I definitely cannot help out.
Steve is still having problems with the pinched nerve in his neck and is having to sleep upright in the lounge chair. If anyone has any advice for a pinched nerve between the neck and shoulder, we would appreciate hearing it. Heat hasn't helped much, or ice. Medication is sure not working.
I think he needs to do some neck stretches, but he says it hurts too much to try. Anyway....let us know if you have a miracle cure.
We worshipped in Joplin, Missouri yesterday morning. On the way there we saw a stretch where one of the tornadoes had gone through Saturday night. Mostly a lot of trees that had been uprooted or bent. They did encourage their Life groups to not meet and to go out and find ways to minister to the people who had lost property. We tried to watch the news here in Omaha to see what we could find out, but guess it wasn't too important here in Nebraska? Don't know how 21 people can die and 100+ injured and it not be leading news, but it wasn't.
Well that is all the rambling I have for today. Hope everyone has a great week.
5 comments:
Thanks again for the comment on my blog. :] Also, the thing about Steve's pinched nerve, I get something similar to that, too, but it only lasts for 3 days. Every time it's 3 days. It's weird. I got it the Friday before Prom, so Prom wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. I wish I knew something that would help, but I'm sorry to say I don't. I'll be glad to pray for his shoulder though!
I'm glad y'all are still having a great vacay. :]
-Bee-
OH! And I've been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting. Can I borrow "God On Mute" sometime?? I'd really like to read it and I don't see the need to go buy it if I can just borrom it from someone else. Please and thank you! :D
-Bee-
Lynn:
Seems like I have had that same sort of pinched nerve on my left side on and off since I had a relatively severe "rear end collision" when I was just out of college. The only thing short of calling my chiropractor that seems to help is to hang my head and shoulders upside down from either the side of the bed, or just bend at the waist and completely relax the upper portion of my torso (have to cross my arms so as to get the full benefit of their weight and gravity pulling on them) . . . it is likely a nerve being pinched in upper portion of the spine. I will pray for his healing.
Pam
I have never found a good way to get the pinched nerve thing to go away. It just seems to leave when it's good and ready. I think that Pam had a good idea though. Tell Steve I am sorry he is having so much difficulty.
The book thing used to happen to me all the time! Now I just don't have time to read so it is not a problem! Glad to see you are having fun on your trip.
Q
Post a Comment