Friday, May 02, 2008

Facing Giants

The article I referred to yesterday in Charisma magazine is entitled "Don't Run From Your Giants" by Judy Jacobs. I want to just write several of the different quotes that caused me to think. See what you think.

"Know this: There will always be an opposition to your mission. Whenever you step out and begin to walk in obedience to God, there is going to be some kind of opposition from the devil. As soon as Jesus was baptized by John, He had to face temptation in the wilderness. Our opposition and adversity takes different forms at different times. Today it may be health problems. Last year it may have been a financial bind. Next year perhaps you will lose your job. You can have trouble with your children or conflict in your marriage or a difficult relationship with someone on the job. Sometimes opposition is discouragement, sleepless nights or the stress of having too much to do. God never promised that you were going to float along on this journey of life, smelling roses and never having another problem from the day you were saved. He did promise, 'When you pass through the water, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.' (Is.43:2)

Get it through your head that trials, tests and all kinds of difficulties are inevitable. God will allow as many of them as you can handle, and He always knows how much you can handle. Your part is to decide now that you are going all the way with Him, regardless of how much it hurts. You can be sure that He will train you and strengthen you every step of the way because He wants you to be able to take every step in 100 percent faith. Always remember that it is the devil that brings temptation, but it is God who brings the tests. It's all for your benefit. It's all for your growth.

Some of us started out fighting. But then we started looking at the problems. We started looking at the giants. Stop looking at the giants and start looking at God. He's bigger. God wants to show you, both by helping you through hardships and by delivering you from them, how powerful and faithful and loving He is. He is the lily of the valleys (Song 2:1) But how will you know that HE is the lily if you don't have any valleys? He is the 'Bright and Morning Star' (Rev. 22:16) But how will you know He is shining so brightly if you have never encountered any darkness. Hes is the deliverer. But in order to deliver you, God has to have some kind of tribulations to deliver you from! He is the healer. But how will you know that He is the healer if you don't ever experience His healing touch?

God always takes what Satan intends for evil and turns it into something good. (Romans 8:28)"

I am such a slow learner. God continues to tell me that what I have been going through for the past three years (and other times) has a purpose. I still can't see it, but I rest in His promises that He is my Ephesians 3:20 God and He will do immeasurably more than all I can ask or think. I heard a song on the radio today that continued this theme. I will post it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post. And can I just say that you may not see the purpose in what's happenedi n your life, but I can tell you that I've seen (even as young as I am) your faith in Him and how much stronger it's grown since the accident. And I've also seen the way you've dealt with the repercussions and am in awe of how you do it everyday. Anybody else would lose the will to go on, but you don't because you have such a full and glorious faith in the Father. :]

Also, to add on to the post. How it talked about God knowing how much we can handle, I LIVE by that!

“So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to us all. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 (TNIV)

Not only is that comforting to me, but it's extrememly flattering that God thinks we can handle so much. Think of it as a compliment from God when you're struggling because he knows you can pul through and continue to lift your praises to him. :]

“When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other.” Ecclesiastes 7:14a (TNIV)

See?? God doesn't cause these things to happen, but He allows them to happen because He believes you are strong enough to handle it with Him and for Him!

Another word of advice... A while back we had a dating series on Wednesday nights in the Youth Group and on the last night of the series we had a panel of married couples that we could ask questions about when they started dating and how they set their boundaries and such. Well, Kasey said something that really made me think.

She said that if you're struggling in the relatinoship, you're doing the right thing. A good relationship is hard work, it's the bad relationships that are easy. Parallel that to your relationship with God. How easy would it be to just turn around and give in to what Satan is offering will "pleasure" us?? Pretty easy, huh?? The real pleasure will be with the Lord in Heaven after we show Him how much our souls and hearts hunger and thirst for Him.

"Whoever obeys Him command will come to no harm...Although a wicked person who commits a hundred crimes may live a long time, I know that it will go better with those who fear God, who are reverent before Him." Ecc. 8:5a,12 (TNIV)

Keep this in mind, too! Don't worry about what God's purpose is with what happened because "no one can comprehend what God has done under the sun. People toil to search it out, but no one can discover its meaning. Even if the wise claim they know, the connot really comprehend it." Ecc. 8:17b (TNIV)

(Can you tell I recently read Ecclesiastes??) I actually touch on this subject over on my blog, which no one even reads, haha. maybe someone will stumble across it one day, but for now it can serve as my journal to God alone. :] (beeveestudios.wordpress.com)

One last thing, (seriously this time) "whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecc. 9:10a

I hope that helped you a little, even though I am a teenager. :P

-Bee-