Monday, May 26, 2008

Me To We

Today I caught the tail end of Oprah where she had an episode on O Ambassador's which were children who are being assigned to different countries and they are to try and create ways to make a difference for children across the sea. There was mention of a gentleman named Craig Kielburger, who first appeared on Oprah when he was 16 and started an organization called Free The Children. In 2004 he and his brother wrote a book called "Me To We". In looking at their website this is the information I found.

"At heart, Me to We is a life philosophy: it offers us a way to live life, and its wisdom is the kind developed over the course of a lifetime. At the most basic level, it embraces the idea that we can all build a better life-and our ideal world-through reaching out to others. In practice, it involves focusing less on "Me", and more on "We"-our communities, our nation and our world as a whole. Today, Me to We is a worldwide movement of people finding purpose through living with compassion, strengthening community and making a commitment to our shared humanity. Me to We is about living our lives as socially conscious and responsible people, engaging in daily acts kindness, and building meaningful relationships with others. Some may see this as a step forward, a fresh way of looking at the world. Others might see it as a step backward, a return to the simplest, purest, and most basic impulse of humanity to reach out to each other for survival. From either perspective, this philosophy represents a change in focus, a shift from the inside out."

You can find more information at http://www.metowe.org

So, I would be interested. Have any of you read this book? Just looking at the information on the blog I could not help but think. Is this not what Christianity is suppose to be? Should we not be about changing the world through our compassion and good deeds? I have to admit that I stand the most guilty of not getting outside of my comfort zone "the church" to actually engage the world. 99% of my ministry has been "in the church" verses in the world. God has been showing me that fact a lot lately. I am still not sure what Steve and I are being called to do, but I feel like it is going to look very different than it has before.

On the Me To We website there are stories of children making a difference in the world. How do parents raise a child like Emma Hanson who says "I want to not have birthday presents for myself but spend my birthday money on other sick children?" Starting at age 6 and every year thereafter that is what she has done and now she plans months in advance and works with the children’s hospital, sponsors and organizations. She was recently invited to speak at other schools. You can read more about her and vote for who should win $5,000.00 towards their charity at http://www.metoweawards.com/2008voting.php

So in hopes of generating discussion, what do you think the world would think of Christianity if we were known more for what we are doing than what we don't believe in? I pray that I can turn from me and join we (that would be Christ in me).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn,

Your new colors are fun....but it is really hard to read the text....

Carol

Lynn Leaming said...

So I made it bigger and bolder, did that help? Or is it the white lettering that doesn't work?

Anonymous said...

You ask, "How do parents raise a
child that shows such compassion?"
I just wish I could take the credit
for you. I can NOT. God gave you
a awesome heart for serving others, especially children. You have used that gift to Glorify Him in all you do. That is why you are
such a Blessing. Your daddy and I are the most blest by you always looking out for us. You have always done that. Even in the last three years when you were in such anguish and pain, you didn't give in and kept fighting to honor our Father in all you strive to do. We get the benefits of that because of your love of Him first and that just overflows to us, Steve and others.
Your grateful Mother

Anonymous said...

Haven’t read the book, BUT, should.
I have been waiting for that discussion you ask for. My, My!

In answer to your question. It is
EXACTLY WHAT ‘WE’ SHOULD BE.
I find it most interesting when
you ask DEEP SPIRITUAL questions,
you GET NO REPONSE!!!!!!!!!!
Doesn't say much for us, your
readers. Your words are for
serious searchers of what God
wants from His children. I have found over
many years that MOST of us, His children, are just
in the "spinning wheel"
or ritual of going to worship, maybe even
three times a week, and
NOT fully understanding what God expects of us.
It is mind boggling. Your inspiring words and
Questions were right on. That is exactly what we should be doing. I think we should be
ashamed.
Worse, I think God is ashamed of us. I think
we ALL should put our name in your question.
What do you think the world would think of ME
I F I was known more for what I am doing than what I don’t believe in? (also judging others) More SO what would my brothers and sister think of ME!!! The
Scripture keeps running through my mind, “Not
everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord will enter
the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the Will of My Father who is in heaven. Many will say
To Me on that day, Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in Your Name and in Your Name cast out demons and
perform many miracles. Than I will tell them plainly, I never knew you. Away from Me you evil doers.”

I won’t even touch on the LOVE that should be behind ALL we do.

HAVE YOU PERFORMED ANY “MIRACLES” LATELY?? MM