I have so many different things running around in my mind today to blog about but so as not to overwhelm you with so much I will save some for another day.
First of all, I have been curious for awhile now and perhaps some of you will answer this question for me. For those of you that have blogs that require people to type in "character verifications", can you explain to me why? I am not sure what their purpose is and inevitably every night miss type the letters on some one's site. So if someone would explain, I would feel more enlightened.
Second, can someone explain to me what gives Iowa so much power that all the attention of the country has been on them today? I don't really understand the caucus purpose and how only some states even have them and who chose the east half of the country to represent all of America? Again, I am showing my ignorance. Now, I will publicly say I am usually Republican, but so far I am very undecided. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Mike Huckabee resembles Gomer Pyle? (sorry Kristi hopefully no relation?) I know I probably should have kept that to myself. I wish I could get Barack Obama to change his positions on abortion, I hate that he voted "no" in 2006 to notifying parents of minors who get out of state abortions. I actually like him and feel he does exhibit some integrity. I am very thankful that Hilary did not fare well and hope that continues. Does anyone have a better understanding than me of Romans 13:1? "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." So if Hilary does win, does that mean it was God's will? And if so will it be to punish us or bless us? Okay, there you have my political statement for tonight.
Today I watched the Robert DeNiro Movie "The Mission". I had never seen it. I am doing a room at the Ladies Retreat on God Encounters in Entertainment, so I have been researching ideas for that room and got a book called "Reel Spirituality". When I read the chapter on "The Mission" I wanted to see it. I have no idea how I missed this movie when it was released in 1986. This movie touched my heart in so many ways. Watching Robert DeNiro weep when he realizes he is a forgiven man. Listening to Jeremy Irons talk about love and how it has to be the way we relate to one another. Watching the bravery of the Indian people. But then to know this was a true story just angered me against the Catholic church and how they could justify the slaughter of such innocent people. The music and cinematography were just amazing. If you haven't seen this movie, it is definitely worth the rent. It will cause you to look at your own convictions and spirituality. Just a warning, you will need a Kleenex.
4 comments:
Re the character verification:
It's called a CAPTCHA and is used to prevent spamming robots from leaving comments on your blog.
Second: Let's turn the Wayback machine to 1972. George McGovern's campaign engineered the Iowa Caucuses to kick off that campaign season, and they have been jealously guarded ever since. New Hampshire has had primaries since 1916, and has moved their primary to be earlier and earlier to keep it as the first primary.
The purpose of the Iowa Caucus is to pick delegates to the county party conventions, who pick delegates to the congressional district and state conventions, who pick delegates to the national conventions. Texas uses a primary election and a convention system the night of the primary. For instance, you declare that you are a Republican or Democrat by voting in that party's primary. After voting is closed at 7 pm, at the locations of the polling places, there are conventions where you can offer changes to the party's platform or other such things.
I'm not sure I feel great about any of the candidates. I'm vacillating between Ron Paul and Fred Thompson personally. Obama's popular, but I disagree on him regarding economics.
On Romans, it's a tough nut to crack in modern times. Theoretically, WE are the governing authorities. That means WE have been established by God, and we must use our votes and influence wisely. Now is that a more or less distressing thought than a second Clinton for President?
Here is my opinion on a presidential candidate's abortion stance. I am firmly pro-life. I hate abortion. But, I have to understand that it is only one issue out of hundreds of important issues to consider about a presidential candidate. I don't think that ending abortion will come from voting for a pro-life president anyway. I think that kind of change will only come by a deep shift within the hearts of every person, not just the law-makers. Humanity, Americans as a whole must desire to end that terrible practice before it will ever end. If I were to vote for a candidate that is for abortions, I don't think it compromises my integrity as a fierce pro-life supporter, because of the reasons I have listed. I have to choose based on everything the candidate has to offer, not just one issue. I'm not saying you don't think this way either, but I know a lot of Christians have trouble with this idea, and your blog entry made me think about it.
The Mission is a great movie, Lynn...I'm glad you saw it. And I'm sure you noticed that the soundtrack is fantastic too. I've had that CD for years and I love it.
I won't even go into the politics zone....Go Republican...:) (oops, did I say that??)...
But, Mike Huckabee is a relative, and no offense taken!!
Wow, your mind was busy today!
Post a Comment