Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's My Birthday

If you have been noticing my countdown, you noticed that it said Lynn and Leanne's birthday. My niece Leanne is 27 today and she and I share the same birthday. We are leaving this morning on our way to Ruidoso where my brothers and their girls will join us as well as Leanne and her daughter Alyvia. So for the first time in 27 years I will spend my birthday with my niece. I also think this is probably the first time in at least 30 years that I have spent my birthday with my brothers, so that will be special as well.

Don't know that we will have wireless access at the cabin in Ruidoso, so wanted to make one last post here this morning. Last night after the storms cleared out I got up about midnight and the skies were just breathtaking. For the first time in my life I had a better understanding of the Tower of Babel, as I just wanted to reach out and catch a star. It almost looked like you could. I just started singing:
The spacious firmament on high,
With all the blue ethereal sky,
And spangled heavens, a shining frame
Their great Original proclaim.
Th’unwearied sun, from day to day,
Does his Creator’s powers display,
And publishes to every land
The work of an Almighty Hand.

Soon as the evening shades prevail
The moon takes up the wondrous tale,
And nightly to the listening earth
Repeats the story of her birth;
While all the stars that round her burn
And all the planets in their turn,
Confirm the tidings as they roll,
And spread the truth from pole to pole.

What though in solemn silence all
Move round the dark terrestrial ball?
What though no real voice nor sound
Amid the radiant orbs be found?
In reason’s ear they all rejoice,
And utter forth a glorious voice,
Forever singing as they shine,
“The hand that made us is divine.”
Have to admit, I only knew the first verse :)


Then this morning I got up at 5:45 again to capture a sunrise which is a big deal to a non-morning person like me. It wasn't as majestic as yesterday's, but still pretty, especially to watch the fog roll over the valley. As I thanked God for His beautiful creation, I also had to confess that I should be more thankful for it all, and not just the beauty here. Kind of like life isn't it? We need to be thankful for the good and the bad for ALL of it is from our loving father, who loves us more than all we can ask or imagine and holds us in the palm of His hand. Yesterday's bible reading included "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands."
Isaiah 49:16

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Lynn!

I LOVE that first pic of the sunrise...the colors are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Brooke said...

Happy birthday to you and your niece!

Isobel Rowan said...

Hi Lynn,

Happy Birthday, girl and may our God richly bless you, which I know He has already.

Also, today is my youngest child's birthday too. What a coinkeedink!

Isobel

Suzanne Boyd said...

Happy Birthday! May the next year be filled with many smiles and lots of laughter!