Sunday, July 06, 2008

Sunday Snippets

Hope you all had a fun 4th!! Steve and I had a great time at his aunt and uncle's place in Central City, Nebraska. They have a nice 3 acre place in the country. The weather was wonderful and we were able to sit outside in the shade all day long with a cool breeze. Then we watched as neighbor after neighbor shot off fireworks. I forgot how fun that could be to be somewhere where fireworks are no prohibited. Then the fire dept. put on a big show that we could also see from their yard. When is the last time you saw someone playing croquet?? I couldn't play but had lots of fun watching.

This morning we went to church at the Pilgrim Christian church where Steve's mother attends. There was a whopping 41 people there last Sunday, probably about the same today. The minister is a one man show. He made the opening welcome, announcements, took prayer requests (from the floor) and then led the prayer, led singing and preached the sermon. Two other men did do the communion. It did feel rather homey to just open the floor to prayer requests and hear men and women say what needed to be prayed over. Did think it was interesting that when the prayer was led after the requests that most of them were not mentioned in the prayer specifically. Guess everyone is suppose to do that on their own. Sang several hymns I had never heard before with a piano and a violin. But every song they skipped the 2nd verse? His sermon was on the blessings that we have being priviledged to live here in the United States. Because of those blessings we should have hearts of gratitude and the blessings and gratitude lead us to be obligated to live out God's purpose for us which is to spread His message of reconciliation to all people. Not the most profound sermon I have ever heard and not a lot of "a ha" moments, but nevertheless a good reminder.

Steve's mother wanted to eat at an older restuarant in town equivalent to the Golden Corral. She enjoyed the salad bar while Steve and I worked very hard to cut and chew the very tough steak. When we got home it was drizzling and then there was a power outage for about an hour. So I read a book by flashlight while Steve looked at the weather forcast on his blackberry and his mom lit a candle and listened to the weather radio. Sound like an exciting time to all of you??

Here are a couple more pictures from our trip up. You know you are from the big city when a John Deere tractor flying the Flag gets your attention to make a u-turn and take a picture.


We saw this property where an obvious tornado had wrecked havoc. The pictures didn't do it justice. Particulary notice how the tin roof piece got wrapped around the tree. We saw two other places along our journey as well, but did not stop and take pictures of them.



Then it was just amazing after we crossed the Nebraska state line how there was mile after mile of corn fields. They said the blessing to all the rains that they have had is that they will have a bumper crop this year.


Hope everyone makes it back into your workweek okay after the long weekend. Us? We will still be on vacation :)

1 comment:

Cathy Burgess said...

I remember I used to like playing croquet! I didn't even know you could still buy croquet sets, but then again, I haven't looked for them either. Not that I would buy a set because my yard is so uneven. Glad you had a nice trip. The pictures were great.