I didn't journal during this time for some reason so I don't remember how long I actually was in rehab this time but I think it was just a couple of weeks. Anyway...when I returned home there was quite a bit of pain because we had to turn screws every day to move the bone down.
It was very amazing how the technology actually worked you can see in the x-ray below. At the bottom is where the infection was and then the gap at the top is where we moved the bone down and new bone had to grow. In this x-ray the bottom had not met yet, but it would.
I was thankful for gaucho and palazzo pants. Genell McClendon was sweet and made me 3 covers for the frame that I was able to wear with my skirts and dresses so that it was not so scary for the children at church. I was also thankful for a new bed. Workman's comp got me one of those Craftmatic beds and it made all the difference in being able to sleep with the frame on. However, I didn't have rubber sheets so I kept getting them caught and ripping them on the frame.
The other blessing of the frame is that I was able to return to ministry part time. My favorite memory of the frame was that I had mentioned wanting to decorate it for Christmas and Kelley Thomas came to church with some red garland for me to wrap around it. It wouldn't be until the following year and frame 2 that I actually wrapped Christmas lights around it. I was suppose to wear the frame for 9-12 months but we were thrilled when after 7 months the doctor said it was ready come off. We rejoiced and gave thanks. Once again I thought I was returning to some type of normalcy. But it was short lived. I'll talk about that tomorrow.

1 comment:
WOW! Just seeing that x-ray makes me cringe.
Post a Comment