Last night I was reading the current issue of Reader's Digest (Steve's mother gets it for us every year). Anyway there was an article about Denzel Washington entitled "Keeping The Faith". I found it refreshing to find a major star in Hollywood being very vocal about his faith. It says that he is a member of the Church of God in Christ. I wasn't sure what that church was so "googled" it and discovered it is primarily an African-American pentecostal church. Anyway...just thought I would post some of Denzel's answers to questions (in red) he was asked because I think anytime a Christian can stand up for their beliefs in Hollywood they should be praised.
Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? Definitely
In what way? I read the Bible everyday. I'm in my second pass through now in the book of John. My pastor told me to start with the New Testament and I did maybe two years ago. Worked my way through it, then the Old Testament. Now I am back in the New Testament but it is better the second time around.
How do you get through the hard times? You have faith. And discipline as well. You have to work at it. I was just reading today: One day you're going to have to walk with God where you can't understand where He is taking you. Your techniques, skill set and connections won't get you through. So don't try it on your own.
What does this say to you? It says. He's got you covered. My faith helps me understand that circumstances don't dictate my happiness.
How do you deal with fame? It ain't about me. The one thing for me understanding how I understand God, is that it keeps me humble, keeps the pronouns out of the picture.
You're a national spokesperson for the Boys and Girls club and you and your wife work with a number of charities. Why have you gotten so involved? It is what the Bible teaches. It's the right thing to do. And it's selfish. There's a lot of gratification in knowing you help people. We realize how blessed we are and feel a responsibility to share.
What are you reading? Books? I don't have time. Except the Bible, the no. 1 best seller.
Anyway...just thought his answers were interesting and honest. He is getting ready to celebrate his 25th anniversary with his wife. I just wish the news would cover more stories like this one rather than the Brittany, Lindsay, etc. And speaking of that what in the world is Tony Romo doing with Jessica Simpson??? Let us all remember to pray that Hollywood can be redeemed for the Lord.
7 comments:
Thanks for the refreshing news. And I agree with everything in your last paragraph...except am I the last living human who doesn't know who Jessica Simpson is? Maybe I should get my head out of airplane books.
I've always loved Denzel and mainly for his faith. I almost fainted when I read that my dad does not know who Jessica Simpson is. Help me help him.
Tim,
She was in Dukes of Hazzard, but is probably most known for her Pizza Hut commercial with "These Boots Were Made For Walkin'" She is the walking embodiment of "ditzy blonde".
Jessica Simpson also considers herself a Christian. That's how she was discovered, in church.
Anyway, I think all this is very encouraging news about the Denzel article. He was also recently in the Bible Experience and I am hoping that this article brings more exposure to the positive things he's promoted instead of all the controversy over a Christian dropping the f-bomb in American Gangster. I think he's still a strong Christian man who is wisely picking roles to get exposure and making a living. The Bible Experience was a wonderful choice for him that should balance out his involvement with American Gangster, I hope, in the minds of others.
Romo and Simpson? Please say it ani't so Tony!!!
Daisy,
Denzel said in that same interview that the reason he agreed to do that movie is because it is a true story and the fellow he is protraying has had to face horrible consequences for his decisions and he felt he could protray him because the movie taught a lesson. Of course I have not seen it, so have no idea. Thanks for dropping by my blog.
I've been a big fan of Denzel and had heard that he was a Christian. It is very refreshing to know that such a great presence in Hollywood stands up for what he believes.
Post a Comment