Monday, May 16, 2011

My Mama'




Yes, Mother's Day has come and gone, it has been awhile since I had a "mama post" and I wanted to honor her with one for Mother's Day. But then things have been pretty crazy busy since then and I just didn't have time to post...so now things have settled down and I thought I would write this post about my mom.
My mother and I have been blessed with a special relationship for 57 years. She has been such a strong influence in my life. If it weren't for her I would not know the Lord or have the relationship with Him that I have. She was always faithful to take us to church and teach us about the Lord, even if it meant going by herself. She has faced more adversity than anyone I know in terms of deaths in her family and yet her faith has remained strong.
She did not even have a high school diploma, but when she was forced to go back to work when I was about 12, she found a job that supported three children and then ended up teaching her self the skills required to be a church secretary.
She was always an amazing hostess who loved to cook and entertain. If she told you to come at 6:00 for dinner, it was ready the minute the doorbell rang. Fortunately, my husband thinks that I am a good cook because of the things she taught me. Although, I am still not as good at organization and having everything exactly so when company comes through the door.
My mom is one of the most selfless people I know, always putting everyone elses needs before her own. She has been a mainstay for me in my recovery the last 10 years. I remember in Dallas that she overcame her fear of driving on the freeways just to come and sit with me at the hospital which wasn't close to our house. Then when I finally was able to come home from the hospital she faithfully provided meals and cleaned my house for months until I could do so. But to this day if I am having a "big" function she comes and helps however I need her to.
My heart broke for my mom in September when she lost the love of her life. It has been so difficult watching her be so lost without him. They had such a wonderful marriage, and she was really his partner in ministry. For the last five years she had been such a wonderful care giver. Her heart has been broken and there is nothing I can do. For Mother's Day we did get her a Shih Tzu puppy in hopes that he could give her a little companionship. His name is Yoshi and they have become instant friends.



I could go on and on and on....let me end by just listing some of my favorite memories of my mom.
1. Our times of prayer together and talks about God and all things faith.
2. The way she used to dress us alike.
3. Wonderful holidays and celebrations. A major love of Christmas, and even after she outgrew it she helps me decorate to the nines because she knows I love it!
4. Making hamburgers and going to see Elvis movies at the Drive-In movies.
5. Being my traveling companion and our trips to NY, Bush Gardens, The Madonna Inn, etc.
6. Fun camping trips and catching trout and Dolly Varden
7. Playing games.....Spades, Uno, Sequence, Wii
8. Doing retreats together where she was the speaker and I was the worship leader.
9. Her being my biggest fan and cheerleader, no matter what I was doing
10. The countless times she forgave me for my mistakes, hurtful things said, tones of voice, etc.
Once again I could probably go on and on. Thank you Mama' for being the best Mother a daugther could ask for. Thank you for your unconditional love and the way you have poured the love of our Heavenly Father all over me. Thank you for showing me what faith looks like in the good times and the bad. Thank you for helping me keep my eyes on the prize. I am so thankful that you and I will share eternity together and look forward to the day we not only get to see our Savior, but we get to be with Daddy again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you MY sweet Lyne for your words. You and them mean more than you will ever know. You are all to me. MaMa
Blessings

Karen said...

I would like to add to your comments about your mom about how faithful she has been in blessing me with words of encouragement as I recuperate. Such a special mom and daughter.