Still wondering why there were so many more jokes about the prediction of the rapture, than actual disappointment that it did not happen? I wondered if one of the reasons we don't think of heaven much is that we have quit singing about heaven? When is the last time you sang any of these old hymns?
1. When We All Get To Heaven
2. I'll Fly Away
3. This World Is Not My Home
4. Above The Bright Blue
5. Heaven Is A Wonderful Place
6. No Tears In Heaven
7. How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
8. When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder
9. We're Marching To Zion
10. Sweet By and By
11. How Beautiful Heaven Must Be
12. Glory Land Way
13. Mansion Over The Hilltop
14. Beautiful Isle of Somewhere
15. Jesus Is Coming Soon
16. We Shall See The King Someday
17. Beulah Land
18. I'll Be Somewhere Listening
In this day of "worship songs" our songs are more songs directed towards God. I love the new worship songs. But I sure don't want to forget the great hymns that I was raised on either. I am sure there are other songs about Heaven. These are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head. Funny thing is when I think back on singing them, there are several of them I just did not enjoy singing and it seemed like we sang them so much, and yet now that we don't sing them, I still can sing at least a verse or two of all of these. I do remember wondering why when we did sing them not many people seemed very happy by the expression on their face.
Maybe I am the only one that needs to remind myself "This world is not my home, I am just passing through"....I don't want to get so comfortable here that I no longer long to go home. So hopefully I will keep singing about Heaven and with a big smile on my face.
P.S. When I told Steve about this post, he told me to be sure and not forget his favorite "Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder"..........and like you I just rolled my eyes :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment