Friday, October 10, 2008

Surrender

I don't know about you but one of the spiritual struggles I have is in surrendering total control to God. Seems like I do okay for a while, but I always seem to eventually grab whatever back. Guess I am a slow learner, because me being in control never works. My sister Caren gave me a piece of framed art almost 20 years ago that I still have hanging in my bedroom because I constantly need to be reminded of the message that is on it:
Broken Dreams by Robert J. Burdette

As children bring their broken toys
With tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God
Because He was my friend.
But then instead of leaving Him
In peace to work alone,
I hung around and tried to help
With ways that were my own.

At last I snatched them back and cried,
"How could you be so slow"
"My child," He said, "What could I do?
You never did let go."


Last night I was listening to my Ipod as I went to sleep and the very first song was Surrender by the Barlow Girls. The words once again spoke to my heart. I pray that I will eventually learn this lesson with my God and say with my whole heart "I Surrender All."

My hands hold safely to my dreams
Clutching tightly not one has fallen
So many years I've shaped each one
Reflecting my heart showing who I am
Now you're asking me to show
What I'm holding oh so tightly
Can't open my hands can't let go
Does it matter?
Should I show you?
Can't you let me go?

Surrender, surrender you whisper gently
You say I will be free
I know but can't you see?
My dreams are me. My dreams are me

You say you have a plan for me
And that you want the best for my life
Told me the world had yet to see
What you can do with one
That's committed to Your calling
I know of course what I should do
That I can't hold these dreams forever
If I give them now to You
Will You take them away forever?
Or can I dream again?

No comments: