Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Our Roadmap

The story is told that when Dr. David Livingstone was working in Africa, a group of friends sent a letter saying, "We would like to send other men to you. Have you found a good road into your area yet?" Apparently, Dr. Livingstone sent this message in reply: "If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all."

I think God is like this with us sometimes, he calls us to obedience without showing us the path we will travel, or the end result. We then have to decide whether we are going to follow without a map or not. It is a trust issue. There are days when this is easier than other days. I personally find it hard to be faithful to that call everyday.

I have been struggling with some depression for several days. On these kind of days I find myself not reading the Word, not praying, not seeking God. I tend to fill my space and time with things of this world (i.e. t.v or computer games) and then I wonder why I am not feeling better. You would think I would learn my lessons better? It isn't like I haven't walked this direction before. I know that it is a dead end street. I know that as soon as I return to the right path and do what I know to do that things get clearer and the fog lifts. So why am I so resistent?

Usually because God is asking me to look at something I don't want to look at. This time it is self acceptance. I am much better at self pity. I am much better at wanting my needs to be met than looking to the needs of others. I know that Phillipians 2:3 tells me to consider others better than myself. So just like when we are on a trip and have to continually look at the map to find our way home. I have to keep quoting God's truths to myself to get me back on the right path.

This time I know the right road, I just need to get on it. We have a GPS and when we make the wrong turn it says "recalculating". Perhaps that is what the Holy Spirit does for us as well. I just need to take the correct path sooner than later. The more times I do that then it won't be so hard the times that God asks me to go where I have not been before. He is the way, the truth and the life.

1 comment:

Tim Perkins said...

Wonderful post.