Today I got an email from do_not_reply@kidzmatter.com which started out with this article from their president Ryan Frank.
"Today my wife called one of her friends to tell her that she had missed her at church the past two weeks. The family had been fighting the flu. That is, everyone but 7-year-old Chesney. She missed church because everyone else was sick. She told her mom, "My teachers are going to miss me! Maybe not though, they haven't called me!"
As soon as I heard this, I picked up the phone and called Chesney! Although she was too shy to talk to me, she knew that I have missed her. This was a subtle reminder to me about the importance of letting my kids know when I miss them. How are you doing in this area? Hey, even kids need a shot in the arm now and then."
The reason this was interesting to me is I just had a parent tell me last week to stop sending cards telling their child I was missing them on Sunday because they had made a family decision not to come to Bible class. Of course I wasn't sending the cards to offend anyone, I really thought the child would be like the one above and want to know they were being missed. And I actually did miss them! Guess you never know? So all you can do is say you're sorry and hope the next family that gets the card will not feel the same way. On any given Sunday we have 10 kids missing in class and you don't always know the reason. Last week one of the girls was out with pneumonia. So this email encouraged me not to be discouraged about this parent's reaction, I will assume they are the exception and not the rule.
2 comments:
Keep sending those cards! I know that as a child of God who has not always been a faithful worship atendee, there have been times that a call or a card have helped me get back on track.
You keep sending them and let the Lord work on their hearts.
Quenta
You sent Tori a letter and some papers this week after she was out last week due to a gymnastics meet. She really appreciated the fact that it was noticed that she was not there. William and I also appreciate that you took the time to let her know that she is special and her attendance matters to you!! Keep on mailin'!!!
Post a Comment