Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Electronic Blahs

Well, don't know what happened but my laptop died tonight. I took it to church to show the ladies retreat committee some pictures we had taken of the retreat center and shortly after coming off it just turned off and would not turn back on. Couldn't be the battery is dead as I had just unplugged it at home and it should have had 3 hours of time. Came home and plugged it back in and nothing, just a totally dark screen. Aaargh. I just hate computer problems. It is so convenient for me to just put my feet up in my chair and spend time on the computer. So thankfully we have the main computer in Steve's office, so came in here and had to try to remember passwords. I hate it when not all the sites take the same amount of letters so I have like 4 possible passwords. Then it asked me for my security answer which for some strange reason was not my mother's maiden name (like all others) but what is my favorite movie???? Do you think I could remember what I said my favorite movie was?? After typing in several, I guess I finally got the right one when I didn't capitalize any of the letters. Sure hope it is an easy fix?

Today was my father's birthday. He is 84 years old. We are so thankful that God has allowed him to see another birthday as when he took himself off dialysis in January 2007 we were prepared to say goodbye fairly soon. He had been doing pretty well for a couple of months but in the past three days had taken a turn for the worse and did not feel like getting out of the house to celebrate his birthday. My aunt and uncle (my mom's brother and sister) are here visiting from El Paso, so my mom cooked him a meal and we just ate at their house. At least he felt well enough to sit at the table with us for a little while. It is really hard to watch my father be so discouraged at his quality of life. He really wants to just go be with the Lord and is growing more discouraged that it is not his time. We try to get him to focus on the positive that he is of sound mind and not in any pain. He is not suffering, just very weak from inactivity. But the past few days he has been having some significant abdominal pain. So of course none of us knows what the future holds, but I pray for his remaining days, months or years that he will not have to suffer. I am so thankful for the Buckingham Road church of Christ who has not forgotten him in the year he has not been able to attend. Someone usually comes to visit him at least once a week. Once or twice a month someone brings them a meal. It is such a blessing for my mom and dad. I was going to post a picture of him with his cake but my camera went funky today too! Guess it was just an electronically challenging day. Which results in major frustration in my world.

2 comments:

Cathy Burgess said...

Sorry to hear about your laptop. It does sound like a power problem, especially if it won't do anything when you push the power button. I know what you mean about passwords. I usually use the same one, but some sites want longer ones, or want a combination of capital letters, numbers etc.

Tim Perkins said...

I'll be praying for your dad...I was so impressed upon meeting him. I think we all start longing to be with God more and more once we reach a certain age...but certainly moreso in his situation.