Friday, January 15, 2016

Blogging Through The Alphabet: "K" is for Koinonia

I have joined the Blogging Through the Alphabet Challenge by Through The Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures With Jude.This week our letter is "K" so I chose to write on Koinonia.  I have some sweet friends David and Ashley Hollis that I had to say "goodbye" to this week (as well as their three children: Jonathan, Jackson and Lizzie).  While I love the entire family, I will be talking here more about my relationship with Ashley.  

The Hollis' and us moved to Colorado Springs about the same time 5 1/2 years ago.  Ashley and I were in Ladies Bible Class together and began our relationship through our common love for the Word.  You might not be familiar with the term Koinonia.  Here is the definition: 

" Kononia is a tranliterated form of the Greek word, κοινωνία, which means communion, joint participation; the share which one has in anything, participation, a gift jointly contributed, etc."

It wasn't long into our relationship that Ashley and I started serving together.  She has a gift of organization and there were many church events where we worked side by side with each other. From the get go she always was concerned about my health and if I was over doing and would always try to get me to sit down.  And while she was my friend, she often treated me like she was my daughter.  I don't think she ever called me Lynn, it was always Ms. Lynn.  

One of the things that Ashley and I had in common was our love for teaching children.  We would spend so much time talking about what she wanted for her children in terms of their faith formation.  Since I used to be a Children's Minister, she would come to be for suggestions, ideas or advice and I was always glad to share what I felt the Lord had taught me.


Philippians 2:1-2 declares, “If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.” Koinonia is being in agreement with one another, being united in purpose, and serving alongside each other. Our koinonia with each other is based on our common koinonia with Jesus Christ. First John 1:6-7 says, “If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”


I appreciate the love for the Lord that the Hollis' have instilled into the heart of their children.  They also instilled a love and respect for me.  I will always have special memories of their sweet Jackson coming to me during our worship time and asking if he could pray for me.  It happened several times and always touched my heart that he had a heart for prayer.
I could say so much more but will stop by saying it is a precious gift when you can share Koinonia with another person.  The best part about it is that even though the Hollis' are moving to Louisiana we didn't really say "goodbye", we just said "see you later" because Koinonia lasts into eternity and for that I am very thankful!!


2 comments:

Miss G said...

Such a beautiful post Lynn! Kelly

Cristi said...

I didn't get to know the Hollis family well, but I know they will be missed. Thank you for sharing sweet memories of your relationship.