Lately I have been reading several different blogs about the demise of the church and how we are losing so many of our young people and the purposed reasons why. I know that I am now considered in the "older generation" so that is the way my opinions will be viewed. Never the less, I just felt the need to post some observations about what I have been reading. Basically, most of these posts are saying "the church would be better if...."
First there have been several posts on the women's role in the church. I could list some of the popular bloggers on this topic, but perhaps it would be better that I don't as I am not meaning to attack them personally. From these writings I have ascertained that women are feeling that their voices are not being heard in the church. They do not feel their gifts are valued. I am not going to address these issues, or express my opinions nor give a scriptural debate It isn't the reason for this post.
There have also been a couple of articles about the church needing to provide a more accepting and less judgmental space for the homosexual community.
Another article suggested that if we took better advantage of technology and multi media we would attract more of the younger generation. It was important to not just have one screen but several with different things going on with each one.
Finally, I read an article yesterday that the younger generation is more concerned about causes than Christ. That used to the formula was Christ+Community+Cause and then in the 90's it changed to Community+Christ+Church, and now it is Cause+Community+Christ. The article was suggesting that if we were involved in causes such as sex trafficking, slavery, clean water, etc. then young people would flock to our churches.
Everyone of these articles had points that were worth considering and worth reading But this is my problem with all of them. Since when is the church about meeting my needs? Since when has being involved in church been about what makes me satisfied? The church has existed for over 2000 years, long before there was gender issues, homosexuality as alternative lifestyles, and media. And hasn't the church always been about being the hands and feet of Jesus to those that are hurting and lost?
It seems to me that in John 13:34-35 Jesus told us what the church should be known for, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Imagine what could happen if we just did this one thing? As long as Satan can keep us discontented and looking at all the peripherals then we are not the church God intended us to be. As long as I as am individual am saying "if a church would just do___________, then I would be a part of it", I will not be part of the church as God intended it to be.
This is my prayer "Lord, help us to be your church. Lord, let us look to You and You alone for our example of how to love God and love our neighbors. Lord, may we care about the people you cared about and may our mission be to be your hands and feet to as many as possible. May we care more about the lost than the forms in our worship services. May we be consumed with your Spirit and let nothing but love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness and self control flow in us and through us. May our passion be bringing heaven down to earth May we yearn for Heaven. May thy kingdom come and your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Use me as your instrument. Thank you Lord for the blessing of your church in giving me community and fellowship to keep my eyes centered on you. May we all love each other so much that we are known for nothing but that...His church that loves."
1 comment:
Well said Lynn. This is such a hard issue. In my former workplace, and still through FB, etc I have several gay friends. Just as it would be difficult for me to confront anyone, it is hard to confront what I, too, believe is their sin. My heart felt sick when I started seeing those symbols.
Post a Comment