I read this on a young ladies Facebook post today and it caused me to think: "A church is a family of believers in Christ that weep for one another, shout for one another, and laugh with one another. They hold each other accountable in godliness and encourage one another in holiness to better serve their Master."
The first part of the quote flows easily and I agree with "A church is a family of believers in Christ that weep for one another, shout for one another, and laugh with one another." The churches I have been blessed to be a part of do those things well and I have experienced them personally. It is what we are told to do in Romans 12:15,"rejoice when others rejoice, mourn when others mourn."
But I am not sure I have seen the second part of that quote played out "They hold each other accountable in godliness and encourage one another in holiness to better serve their Master." I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't tend to hold anyone accountable especially when it comes to godliness or holiness. I sometimes will mention that I think a certain movie is inappropriate or show some surprise when somebody sees a movie or listens to music that I think is not appropriate. But holding someone accountable is a far deeper level. And if I am very honest, I am not so sure I want anyone holding me accountable....BUT if I knew someone would??? Well, I am sure there are a lot better choices I could make when it comes to godliness, holiness and serving my Lord.
Accountability requires honesty. There is no "fooling" one another with true accountability, but I think the only way accountability would work for me is if it not salted with judgement. So I really like the way the quote says "encourage one another in holiness". I can't hold you accouountable for a standard I am not willing to set for myself.
So I am hoping in this move as we are looking for a church, that Steve and I will look for a church that "is a family of believers in Christ that weep for one another, shout for one another, and laugh with one another. They hold each other accountable in godliness and encourage one another in holiness to better serve their Master." Perhaps there will be such a church in Colorado Springs.
No comments:
Post a Comment