Monday, February 22, 2016

"Q" is for Query

Week 17 of the challenge of Blogging Through the Alphabet Challenge by Through The Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures With Jude. This week the letter is "Q" and it is truly a challenge to come up with a word.  If you go the other linkups you will see Quiche, Quesey, Quotes, Quick, Quizzes, Backpack Meals and Quiet Rest.

I looked at a list of "Q" words and was surprised at how many there actually are and how many I had no idea what they meant.  

So I chose qabalah, only to find out it is a Scrabble word, but doesn't have a definition.  

So then I chose quahog and it means "the hard clam (Mercenaria mercenaria), also known as a quahog (or quahaug), round clam, or hard-shell (or hard-shelled)clam, is an edible marine bivalve mollusk that is native to the eastern shores of North America and Central America, from Prince Edward Island to the Yucatán Peninsula. It is one of many unrelated edible bivalves that in the United States are frequently referred to simply as clams, as in the expression "clam digging"" 
Then qindarka caught my attention because I thought a "q" always had to have a "u" with it.  And here is the definition "100 qindarka equal 1 lek in Albania"

And then there is qwerty "denoting the standard layout on English-language typewriters and keyboards, havingqwert, and y as the first keys from the left on the top row of letters."


So I am now feeling better at the reason I didn't know these words :-)  Then it dawned on me as I went to type a title for this post that I did a query on the letter "Q"!


Query "ask a question about something, especially in order to express one's doubts about it or to check its validity or accuracy".


1 comment:

Tim said...

Lynn, you're so funny! That was hilarious!