Monday, December 07, 2015

Blogging Through the Alphabet: F is for Fear

For Blogging Through The Alphabet today the letter is "F" and I chose the word Fear.  My husband and I do a devotional each day at lunch and today the reading was from Joshua 14:
Now the people of Judah approached Joshua at Gilgal, and Caleb son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him, “You know what the Lord said to Moses the man of God at Kadesh Barnea about you and me. I was forty years old when Moses the servant of the Lord sent me from Kadesh Barnea to explore the land. And I brought him back a report according to my convictions, but my fellow Israelites who went up with me made the hearts of the people melt in fear. I, however, followed the Lord my God wholeheartedly. So on that day Moses swore to me, ‘The land on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your children forever, because you have followed theLord my God wholeheartedly.’[a]
10 “Now then, just as the Lord promised, he has kept me alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the wilderness. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! 11 I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. 12 Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the Lord helping me, I will drive them out just as he said.”
So many things happening in our world today that if we just look at them it would be easy to live fear filled lives.  You don't think the "bad" will be in your backyard, but twice in two months there have been random shootings in Colorado Springs that if I had just been in the wrong place at the right time, I could be one of those who are dead.  There is so much talk in the media about racial tensions and terrorists among us.  But I want to suggest we take note of a lesson from this short passage in Joshua.
When Joshua and Caleb and the other spies went to scope out enemy territory, they all saw the same view.  And when they came back they reported to Moses and said that the thought the enemy was too big and too strong, in fact they said they seemed like grasshoppers in comparison.  But Caleb said "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it.”
The key to overcoming fear is being confident in God's provision.  Not letting fear be our deciding factor, but wholeheartedly following the Lord knowing if He brought us to it, He will bring us through it!  We can saw with Joshua "with the Lord helping me, I will....."
We can also hold onto other Truths of His Word:
  • Psalm 34:4-I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
  • Proverbs 3:24-26-When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.  Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the Lord will be at your side.
  • Proverbs 29:25-Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.
  • Isaiah 41:10-So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

4 comments:

Tim said...

Another great post and a great reminder, Lynn! Thanks for sharing!

~a homemaker said...

My daughters and I were just listening to a song -- "No thief like fear" by Jason Gray. Your post ties into that :)

Lynn Leaming said...

Thanks for your constant encouragement, Tim! Chasing Slow, thanks for sharing that song, I went to YouTube and listened, I had not heard it before.

Unknown said...

So much truth in your post. Perspective is everything. No matter what is going on in the world, HE is still sovereign. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.