Monday, November 09, 2015

Blogging Through the Alphabet: B is for ?

So you will have to read pretty far into my post to see what my letter "B" is for this week of  Blogging Through The Alphabet.  Sticking with my first week theme of a name.  I thought I would just mention some Bible names (oops guess that is also a "B", but not the one I am using for this post :-) )

I think it was Shakespeare who asked "What's In A Name"?  Parents spend a lot of time thinking of a name for their child.  Some kids just get a name that is being passed on and they end up being a Junior.  Always wondered why girls couldn't be a Junior?  I digress.  Anyway in the Bible names actually had meanings attached to them.  Here are some examples:

Some names that were true to their characters:

  • Abraham-father of many nations (Ge 17:5)
  • Adam-man; human being; red (color of earth) (Ge. 2:19)
  • Eve-life;living (Ge. 3:20)
  • Ezekiel-God will strengthen (Ez. 1:3)
  • Daniel-God is my judge (1 Chr. 3:1)
  • David-Believed (Ru. 4:17)
  • Gabriel-man of God (Da. 8:16)
  • Jacob-supplantar; deceiver, trickster (Ge. 25:26)
  • Hannah-grace (1 Sa. 1:2)
  • Israel — he will reign with God; he that fights with God; God fights; soldier of God (Ge 32:28)
  • Lazarus-God has helped (Luke 16:20)
  • Moses-drawn out of the waters (Ex. 2:10)
  • Timothy-honoring or worshiping God (2 Co. 1:1)
Who wouldn't want this name based on the meaning? (although I haven't heard of many of them)

  • Dara-pearl of wisdom (1 Ch. 2:6)
  • Dodavah-love of Jehovah (2 Ch. 20:37)
  • Elizaphan-God protects (Nu.3:30)
  • Ezekias-Jehovah is strong; strength of Jehovah (Mat. 1:9)
  • Hasadiah-whom Jehovah loves; Jehovah is kind (1 Chr. 3:20)
  • Ismaiah — Jehovah hears (1Ch. 12:4).
  • Jedidiah-beloved of Jehovah (2 Sa. 12:25)
  • Jehozabad-Jehovah has given or bestowed (2 Ki. 12:21)
  • Joanna-Jehovah has favored (Luke 3:27)
  • Tabeal-God is good (Isa.7:6)
Who would want this name?
  • Chesil-fool; (fat?) (Jos. 15:30)
  • Chozeba-decietful (1 Chr. 4:22)
  • Dibri-wordy (Le. 24:11)
  • Doeg-fearful; timid;anxious (I Sa. 21:7)
  • Gareb-scabby (2 Sa. 23:38)
  • Hathath-terror (1 Ch 4:13)
  • Hulday-weasel (2 Ki. 22:14)
  • Ikkesh-perverse (2 Sa. 23:26)
  • Leah-fatigued; wearied (Ge 29:16)
  • Mahli-sickly;sick;weak (Nu.3:20)
  • Marah-bitterness (Ex. 15:23)
My niece is named Danette Lynn.  It means so much that my sister chose to name her daughter after me.  I wouldn't be honest if I didn't admit that she has a little extra space in my heart because of that.
So all of this is to reveal my "B" word........BESSIELYN....that is my name :-)  I was named after my maternal grandmother, Bessie Mae.  When I was a freshman in high school I dropped my name to Lynn (and added an "n"?) just because people were always mispronouncing my name or shortening it to Bessie, which I never liked because of a mean boy in the 6th grade that told me Bessie was the name of Mrs O'Leary's cow that started the 1871 Chicago fire.  Interesting how his story meant more to me than my sweet grandmother that I was named after?  The power of words!  Anyway, all of this leads me to think about my most important name "child of God".  That is who I am! And all because of a loving Savior who in some inconceivable way is also my brother! "Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17)

5 comments:

~a homemaker said...

Nice to meet you, Bessielyn! Love the story behind your name. ...it's especially touching my heart as my dear grandmother just passed away.

Cristi said...

I also love the story of your name. Interestingly, my maternal grandmother was also named Bessie Mae. Her name didn't pass down to my, though. My name was picked based on initials that had come down through my paternal grandfather and through his twin sons.

Lynn Leaming said...

Chasing Slow, sorry to hear about your grandmother. Mine died in 1971 of cancer and my paternal grandmother died at 92 about 10 years ago.

Cristi that is amazing that our grandmothers had the same name! I had never heard of anyone else having the same two names together :-)

Megan Russell said...

Bessielyn is such a beautiful name! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dawn said...

Yes, lots to a name! And interesting to know you changed yours, and why!