Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Glimpse of Heaven

In my last post I told you that Jenny Bizaillion had won her reward and was home with God. On Thursday Steve and I were blessed to attend her memorial celebration. Amazingly her brothers Josh and Jonathan performed the service. Josh lead the praise and worship and Jonathan didn't really preach, but talked about Jenny and the hope she had in the Lord. God empowered both of them to bring honor to their sister in a most difficult time. There have been very few moments in my life where I experienced worship the way I did in that service. The Holy Spirit was spilling all over that room. You could feel God's presence in such a strong way. There was a moment at the end of the service where we were all asked to bow. During his prayer Jonathan said something like "God, we have asked that you keep Satan away from this place today, but right now I ask you to reveal this room to him and let him see that he did not win, You did." At that moment I could see heaven and the way that it is going to be when every knee bows down and claims that Jesus is Lord. I can't wait for that day!
Seems that funerals always cause me to be more reflective of my life. Perhaps because you don't want to die knowing you didn't do all that you want to do. I wanted to be closer to God than ever before and realized that is not going to happen unless I start spending more time with Him. And that is only going to happen if I turn the television off. So for the next 30 days I am going to make a committment to not turn on the television until 5 p.m. every day. (well maybe not on Saturdays)
The time I normally spend on the computer and watching T.V. I am going to spend reading the stack of books I have, beginning with Randy Alcorn's book "If God Is Good." Too....I will get up in the morning and only spend 30 minutes on the computer (checking emails and FB status) Then I can't get on it till after 5:00 as well. I will be posting about what I am reading and what God is saying to me. I am anticipating that the next 30 days will be life transforming. I love the song "Ancient Words", perhaps my heart will truly embrace the lyrics in the days to come.
Ancient Words


(Michael W. Smith)


Holy words long preserved
for our walk in this world,
They resound with God's own heart.
Oh let the ancient words impart


Words of Life, words of Hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient words will guide us Home.

CHORUS:
Ancient words ever true
Changing me and changing you,
We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart

Holy words of our Faith
Handed down to this age
Came to us through sacrifice
Oh heed the faithful words of Christ.

Holy words long preserved
For our walk in this world.
They resound with God's own heart
Oh let the ancient words impart.

We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart

No comments: