Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blindside

Last week I went to see the movie "Blindside". I wasn't sure about going because so many people had raved about it I did not want to be disappointed. Often that seems to be the way it is, I don't tend to like the movies others like and visa versa. But this was one time the raves lived up to the movie. It was a great movie with a great message. I couldn't help but want to watch the Baltimore Ravens play yesterday, just to see Michael Oher now.

If only there were more Tuohy's in the world. People who saw beyond color to need and rose up to meet that need. I love the line when one of her friends says to Leigh Anne "I bet you are teaching him alot" and she says "no, he is teaching me alot." That is always the way God works; when you think you are blessing other people,it is actually you that is blessed.

There is one problem I had with this movie and that was their protrayal of Christians. I am sure that Leigh Anne Tuohy is a force to be reckoned with and is an advocate for her children and Michael, but I don't think she would do it in a way that dishonored God by using the same foul language that others used on her. When the family prays over Thanksgiving dinner, there is no mention of Jesus or praying in His name. I can't imagine that is the way the Tuohy's say their prayers.

Typical Hollywood. Come close to presenting Christianity as it is, but keeping the reason we all live the way we do out of the movie. They said the Tuohy's practice Christianity without being preachy. St. Francis of Assisi said "preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words". Yes, we all should have lives are reflective of the Lord of our lives. But not once in this movie does it show the Tuohy's gaining strength to live that life in prayer or in community with other believers. Maybe I am unrealistic and this is the best Hollywood can do.

What I find really interesting is when people say to me "didn't you just love that movie?" and I say "yes....but..." They reply, "oh, I didn't really notice that Jesus name was never mentioned". Maybe, just maybe it is because so many of us live life everyday without mentioning His name. Yes, I am talking about myself too.

1 comment:

Tim Perkins said...

Good review! Agree with you on everything.