Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Emergency Room Visit

I spent nine hours today in the emergency room with what I thought was a heart attack. Monday I woke up to a chest cold. Tight chest and dry cough. I went to the doctor yesterday afternoon when things weren't getting better knowing that I have a really busy weekend and could not just wait to get better on my own. He gave me an antibiotic and cough syrup. Went to bed early and then awoke about 11:30 coughing so I decided to take some Nyquil (which always kills the cough and allows me to sleep) Well, then I awoke about 3:00 to very sharp chest pains and difficulty breathing. When I sat up I broke out in a cold sweat. I woke Steve up and told him I needed to go to the emergency room, that I thought I was having a heart attack. They took me right away and did an EKG but it did not show any abnormalities. They gave me a nitroglycerin and then a little later I was sick to my stomach. After vomiting a little, the pain subsided for about 15 minutes, and then it returned with a vengeance so they gave me 2 shots of morphine. That knocked me out :) They did blood work and then sent me for a chemical stress test. Fortunately, that showed there were no heart problems. My heart is strong and I have no blockages. Praising God for that news! So nine hours later I left with a diagnosis of esophageal spasm (which is related to acid reflux), two more medications to take.

I didn't panic during any of this process and did have somewhat of a peace, but at the same time I kept saying "God why now?". I have so much to do this week to get things in order for a tea I am hosting on Saturday for two of our senior girls. I had asked for a group of ladies to pray for me yesterday and was wondering why once again God was choosing to answer my prayer in a way I could not immediately see? But it was okay, I have learned that His ways are not my ways and I trust Him. But I am being honest in saying that if it had been my heart and I had been hospitalized I wonder if I could have remained at peace? I hope so.

2 comments:

Heather said...

So glad it was not a heart attack! Hope you are feeling better today....

Tim Perkins said...

Well, you've been through so much...maybe you (and God) are tougher than you thought!